Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 29, 2018 at 10:54 am

albaC

I am trying to:

Update all the plugins related with WPML.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

I expected to see:

The plugin updated and the backend and frontend working as always.

Instead, I got:

I couldn't access to the backend. I had to desactivate the plugin via FTP. So, now I cannot access to the translated pages (from Catalan to Spanish) at the frontend, although the frontend is working. Moreover, if I try to update any other plugin (different from WPML) the uptading process fails.

As you can imagine, it is urgent to solve this problem. Please indicate the steps that I have to follow step by step, so we can come to the solution easier and faster.

Many thanks!

October 30, 2018 at 11:02 am #2861351

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

These errors usually happen when one of more plugins weren't correctly updated.

❌Before you do this, you might want to backup your site and add a maintenance page or similar because you might have issues on the front-end for a few minutes.❌

I suggest you:
1) Download all the WPML plugins you had in your previous installation from WPML.org > My account (name in the upper right corner) > Downloads

2) head to your cpanel (or your hosting's server admin panel) and go to the manager (you could also try FTP, but this way is faster)

3) Create a new folder inside wp-content/plugins called "temp", enter it.

4) unzip and install the plugin folders in the temp folder.

5) Once uploaded, go back to /wp-content/plugins and delete your WPML plugin folders

6) Move the folders in the "temp" folder to /wp-content/plugins and then delete the "temp" folder.

As you might've guessed, this process will help you make a clean installation of the plugins, by replacing the old ones with the new ones. you can put the maintenance page only when you are about to start with step number 5, to reduce "front-end downtime" to a minimum.

you could also download the current WPML plugin folders just as a precaution.

I hope this works for you, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubt or encounter any issues along the process.

November 5, 2018 at 7:14 am #2875545

albaC

Dear Alejandro,

Everything seems to work now.

The only problem is that, as the Media plugin has changed, the images only appear in one of the two languages. How can I solve it?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Alba

November 5, 2018 at 9:26 am #2876165

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

if you want to duplicate them all (make all the images available in all the languages) you can follow this path:

WPML > Settings > Media Translation

Then check the following options:

- Set language information for existing media
- Translate existing media in all languages
- Duplicate existing media for translated content
- Duplicate the featured images for translated content

And press the "Start" Button. this process will pretty much make the images available for all languages, and duplicate the original images on your translated posts and pages, this is specially useful if you want to use the same featured image in the translated pages/posts.

Let me know how it goes.