This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jason 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
July 1, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Jason

I am trying to:

Simply add different Woocomerce products to the cart.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

Choose any product from the list of "Our Products" and add any variation. You can also choose products in the top menu once you are in a particular product. Please try adding at least 4 products. As I said, every once in a while it will add them all, but rarely.

I expected to see:

All chosen products to be added to the cart.

Instead, I got:

Erratic behaviour. Mostly I can only add a single product (variable product) and other times I can add two products. Rarely 3 products. More often than not, adding any other product than the initial product does not show in the cart.

The site has been running for 2+ years without problems. Unfortunately, I cannot say when the problem started to occur (after which update). I have been tracking it down for the last 3 weeks. Initially I suspected it was a caching issue. I contacted WP Engine 4 separate times and after writing a few exclusion rules and flushing the cache it would work. But after an unknown time period (I do not check the site every day) the symptoms would occur again. Potentially still a caching issue. But after more than 12 hours on the line with WP Engine and no resolution I started looking elsewhere. Today I cloned the site to our dev environment. The differences were that there is no caching on the dev site, and I had to set the languages to "Language name added as a parameter" as to not conflict with the live site. And finally, I set the theme to the default twentynineteen to rule out any theme conflicts. The problem was evident without caching and a default theme. So then I proceeded to do the plugin dance. I was able to narrow it down to the WPML Translation Management plugin. Leaving all other WPML plugins on and the translation management plugin off resolved the issue. To double check, I performed the same on the live site and indeed, the problem disappeared. So it seems that there is a problem with the WPML Translation Management plugin not allowing consistent adding of multiple products to the Woocommerce cart.

If you need more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

By the way, the username/password for the development site is:

Username: ecoformdev
Password: 03c146a5

Cheers,

Jason Jeffers

July 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm #4122143

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Please have a look at you development site.

There were various issues about taxonomies assigned to the wrong language. I fixed various issues at WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Categories and Tags as also at WPML -> Taxonomy Translation.

I further tested with different plugin setups and I had not any issue about adding 34 products to the cart.

I also changed the default permalinks for WooCommerce at Settings -> Permalinks to English language.

Please verify also the WooCommerce Multilingual Section. There are products waiting for translation updates, tags untranslated, and you will still need to translate Store URLs.

Further, the tab Status provides an overview and the option "Troubleshooting" in order to synchronize WCML. I already took care of that for you.

I hope the issue is solved now. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 2, 2019 at 11:50 am #4126499

Jason

Hey Andreas,

Indeed the problem seems to be resolved on the dev site. I must admit, I don't see how this causes the problem. And it makes me think that this problem has existed for a number of years. I inherited this monster of a site two years ago and there have been constant problems. Hopefully these fixes resolve many of the issues we have been having.

I went through your list of fixes and some of them I can see were already "fixed" on the live site. Not sure how as I didn't change anything and the dev site was a direct clone made yesterday. So it's very difficult for me to see what needs to be changed on the live site. That being said, could you please roll out the same fixes on the live site?

**CREDENTIALS REMOVED**

Regarding "There are products waiting for translation updates". Is this a simple matter of clicking on the update icon?

So as far as I can see, after you have made the same fixes on the live site, my client just has to translate the tags?

Thanks in advance for making the changes on the live site.

Cheers,

Jason Jeffers

July 2, 2019 at 6:00 pm #4129265

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

I applied the similar fixes to the live site but it did not solve the issue.

Sometimes such issues can be caused after deactivating and reactivaing all plugins. In fact, on my test I deactivated on your test site everything and then added products the the basket after applying the translation fixes. There was not any issue to add products untill all plugins were active again.

Now, I was going to deactivate all plguins for a moment on the client's site in order to reactivate them right away, but I was anot able to complete the task due to technical issues with the site.

Could you please connect yourself and reactivate the plugins? Afterwards, please check if the issue persits.

In case it does, please enable the wp-debug feature and provide me the results.

Add the following to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

You will be able to find a complete report inside of your wp-content folder. Look for a debug.log file and provide me the results.

More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Kind regards
Andreas

July 3, 2019 at 8:27 am #4133213

Jason

Andreas,

I think you may have accidentally deactivated Woocommerce and that caused a PHP fatal error because I had a few functions in functions.php depending on Woocommerce. This deactivated all the plugins and brought the site down.

So I fixed the code to check for the existence of Woocommerce, reactivated all the plugins and the problem remained. Then, quite by accident I saw that one of the products in English was missing the variations (volume). I then went to the troubleshooting page and ran "Sync variable products". This solved the missing variations AND seems to have solved the problem of adding multiple products!!! It's only taken me 3 weeks to figure this out. I've been a developer for over 25 years and a WordPress developer for 10 and this one had me going.

So in the end I think it may have been a lucky accident that all the plugins were deactivated and forced a reactivation clearing up some unknown problem in combination with the "Sync variable products".

Thanks for helping me on the way to fixing this. I hope it does not rear its ugly head in the future. At least I know to run "Sync variable products". But it does beg the question as to why I need to do this. Anyway, again, thanks for your help.