This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:Cannot duplicate pages/posts.

Solution:setting your settings to "falling back to the original" and selecting the checkbox to create a "duplicate" produces the same result, therefore the checkbox is removed once "falling back to the default language is selected"... there is no need for it anymore.

you can use the option " Copy content from ... " by switching the secondary language and then clicking that option

i have test it and it works as expected.

of course using the Translation management is a much faster process since you can bulk duplicate.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alexanderA 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 26, 2018 at 6:57 am #2852077

alexanderA

Hello. Several months ago I had a WPML issue regarding duplicating pages/posts. I opened a ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-duplicate-a-page/), and in the ticket the agent helped me find a workaround which was acceptable at the time. But the issue is still present, and the workaround is becoming quite tedious. Essentially, the only way I am able to duplicate any pages or posts is via Translation Management. If I open an individual page/post for editing and try to duplicate from that page, the duplication process does not work. How can I resolve this?

Thanks.

October 27, 2018 at 12:44 am #2854301

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

the reason you are not able to duplicate as we established in the previous ticket was because once the option ""Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language"" is selected for pages/posts the option to duplicate is removed from the edit screen.

this is not a bug but the way our developers have designed this feature to work.

If you select "Translatable - only show translated items" for "Pages/posts then the option to duplicate will be available again.

Therefore the "workaround" to duplicate using Translation Management was introduced as a way to be able to keep your desired setting and also be able to duplicate a page when needed.

October 27, 2018 at 5:44 am #2854851

alexanderA

>> the reason you are not able to duplicate as we established in the previous ticket was because once the option ""Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language"" is selected for pages/posts the option to duplicate is removed from the edit screen.

>> this is not a bug but the way our developers have designed this feature to work.

OK thanks for explaining that. But if it is still possible to duplicate a post, I'm unclear why the developers removed the 'Duplicate' feature from the 'edit post' screen. What is the benefit of that? On the surface, all that seems to do is force the end user to take extra steps to duplicate the post (i.e. open Translation Management, search for the post, etc). I will of course do it, but can you explain the rationale behind that?

October 29, 2018 at 7:40 pm #2859351

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

setting your settings to "falling back to the original" and selecting the checkbox to create a "duplicate" produces the same result, therefore the checkbox is removed once "falling back to the default language is selected"... there is no need for it anymore.

you can use the option " Copy content from ... " by switching the secondary language and then clicking that option

i have test it and it works as expected.

of course using the Translation management is a much faster process since you can bulk duplicate.

October 30, 2018 at 6:33 am #2860538

alexanderA

OK thanks for that. I'll use those tools from now on to duplicate. We can consider this resolved.