This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kimF 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm #4540099

kimF

We have the french site linked to a french domain (hidden link) and the English site linked to an English domain (thepeacedays.com).

The DNS settings for the English domain are screenshotted below. Despite having a www CNAME record that points to thepeacedays.com, hidden link is redirecting to the french domain. thepeacedays.com (without www) loads the English site properly.

There is nothing going on server side, as we can still access an html file uploaded to the English domain with www (hidden link)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link (this redirects to the french domain)

I expected to this domain to load the english side, but instead it redirects to the french site.

Instead, I got:

September 10, 2019 at 6:48 am #4542311

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. WPML
1.1 If you temporarily deactivate WPML CMS, does the same redirection happen?
1.2 If you reactivate WPML CMS and temporarily deactivate the non-WPML plugins - does the redirect still happen?

2. .htaccess
Could you please post the contents of this file in your next reply?

Thanks

September 10, 2019 at 1:32 pm #4545977

kimF

1. Yes, the redirection still happens. With WPML deactivated both the hidden link domain and thepeacedays.com domain redirect to journeesdelapaix.com

2. We could not identify another plugin conflict that is causing this redirection issue.

3. Working on getting the contents of the .htaccess file now

September 10, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4546033

kimF

.htaccess contents pasted below

# BEGIN LSCACHE
# END LSCACHE
# BEGIN NON_LSCACHE
# END NON_LSCACHE
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

September 10, 2019 at 3:07 pm #4546663

Yvette
Supporter

Hmmm

If the hidden link is still redirecting to hidden link even with WPML deactivated, this seems like a server setup issue to me.

I think you would get the fastest support by contacting your hosting provider for support.

From what I can see, the language switching is working correctly for the domains "thepeacedays.com" and "journeesdelapaix.com"

If the redirection was not happening when WPML was activated, then it would have suggested some kind of interference with our plugin.

Do you agree?

September 10, 2019 at 3:59 pm #4547161

kimF

Hi Yvette,

We've already reached out to our hosting provider, and they believe this to be a WPML issue.

I do not agree - the redirection is indeed happening when WPML is activated (with www). When WPML is not activated, both thepeacedays.com and hidden link redirect to the french site which makes sense as the plugin is not directing each plugin to the correct site. The plugin appears to only be affecting the domain without www and not affecting the domain with www.

September 10, 2019 at 4:45 pm #4547511

Yvette
Supporter

I´ve double checked with our 2nd tier supporters who are more experienced with this. They agree that this is really out of our scope but they have asked me to forward the following article to you:
hidden link

What you are trying to achieve would be possible with modifying your .htaccess file as described in the article.

In WordPress, you either have the www or you do not. Redirets are done with .htaccess

I hope this helps you.

September 10, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4547751

kimF

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!