Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by azerG 3 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
November 4, 2016 at 10:47 am #1130029

azerG

I am trying to: I installed WPML and chose to have the language selector in my menu. However the image of the flag does not show it seems like the image is missing. I need to be able to show both the English And the Spanish flag.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: The image of the flag

Instead, I got: Nothing

Steps to duplicate the issue:

November 4, 2016 at 11:04 am #1130046

Joanna

Hello @azerg,

Could you please:
1. Log into your FTP.
2. Go to the wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/res/flags folder and check if it contains the en.png and es.png files?
If not, please download WPML files from your wpml.org's account and upload missing files via FTP.

If all flags are available but it's still not working, please:
1. Go to WPML->Languages->Site Languages.
2. Click the "Edit languages" link.
3. Check if in the "Flag" column you have the "Use flag from WPML" option chosen for all languages.

I also noticed that your WP Memory Limit is set to 40MB and the WPML's minimum requirement is to have it on 128MB. You can easily increase the memory allocated to PHP. You'll find more info regarding it at https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP.
In brief:
1. Log into your FTP.
2. Edit the wp-config.php file.
3. Add the following code:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

4. Save the file.

This will not resolve your issue, but it may save you from a headache in the future when you stumble upon any unexpected issues.
All WPML minimum requirements are listed at https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/.

November 4, 2016 at 11:56 am #1130088

azerG

Hello Joanna,
I Logged into the FTP and the folder contains the en.png and es.png files. I went to Site Languages clicked edited languages and the flag column had use flag from WPML option chose for all languages. I added the lines of code to the wp-config.php and it is still not showing the flag.

Please help.

Yours Sincerely

November 4, 2016 at 1:25 pm #1130184

Joanna

Hello @azerg,

In this case, if it's okay with you, I’d like to replicate your website locally. This will help me debug the issue and find the solution. For this, I'll need a snapshot of your site which you can create using a plugin called "Duplicator". This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content.

If you already know how Duplicator works (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

Here's a great tutorial on how to use it: hidden link.

Please send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big). Your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it. You can paste the links to the files there. You can also install the Duplicator plugin, create a snapshot and share the credentials to your website. I will then download the files from the admin panel.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

November 4, 2016 at 2:37 pm #1130273

Joanna

Thank you for the files, @azerg. I'll check what I can find there and get back to you.

November 4, 2016 at 3:11 pm #1130303

azerG

Helllo Joana, thank you for taking a look at it, this is the responce i received from BeTheme support i hope this helps:

Hi,

as you can see on hidden link image responsible for flag just does not exist and that's why alt is being displayed instead of the image.

Thanks!

November 4, 2016 at 5:42 pm #1130404

Joanna

Hello @azerg,

It turned out that your *_icl_flags table was empty and it was impossible to retrieve proper flag URLs. It may happen when during the first activation or update that changes the database schema, the process is interrupted, e.g. connection is lost.

I inserted the missing records and now everything seems to be working fine.

November 4, 2016 at 5:50 pm #1130414

azerG

Joanna you are simply the best ! Thank you so much !