This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 13, 2019 at 2:38 pm #3799475

abdullahO-5

I am trying to:
See the translated version of the footer in the website.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
This is the English version: hidden link
This is the Arabic Version: hidden link

I expected to see:
The translated footer, that I have already added

Instead, I got:
The same English footer.

May 13, 2019 at 6:54 pm #3801259

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Please go to WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization and scan the theme for new strings.

The footer is based on the theme options and can be translated with String Translation. Please go to WPML -> String Translation and search for the strings by using the text search.

As far I understand your message you translated the strings this way?

Did you try additionallz to localized the strings at the option "translate strings in admin screens" at the bottom of the screen?

Do the strings get translated if you change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen?

Kind regards
Andreas

May 13, 2019 at 8:49 pm #3801517

abdullahO-5

Thanks for your help. I translated it through the translation page. The footer comes in the form of Layouts. I have set foorter - Dark for pages so I translated that layout page. I did try to add the translation but it was already added as I added it earlier through WPML advance translation editor.

May 13, 2019 at 8:50 pm #3801521

abdullahO-5

Please assist, how to resolve it?

May 13, 2019 at 9:28 pm #3801647

abdullahO-5

Please check the english and Arabic version of the footer layout in back end editor. It appears in the list of translated strings but does not show up.

May 13, 2019 at 9:48 pm #3801771

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

It might be possible to solve this with a custom XML configuration for teh themes languae config file.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

May 16, 2019 at 12:24 pm #3825763

abdullahO-5

Hi Andreas,

Ok let me do the backup and get back to you.

Thanks

May 25, 2019 at 4:25 am #3888817

abdullahO-5

Hi,

Hi, Appologies for the delay. There were some errors in the updraft which made the upload process complicated. Anyways, I have made the backup. Can you please share the private box so that I can information with you?

Thanks

May 25, 2019 at 7:58 pm #3890013

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

May 26, 2019 at 11:05 pm #3892507

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Footer, header and widget texts, as also theme options can be translated with String Translation. For some reason it is currently not working on your site. This can be caused due to a low memory limit or a compatibility issue between theme and WPML.

Could you please increase your PHP Memory Limit to 512M (php.ini) and the WP Memory limit (wp-config.php) to 256M? 128M is the minimum required by WPML.
Your current values are:

MemoryLimit 256M (php.ini)
WP Memory Limit 40M (wp-config.php)
Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/* Memory Limit /
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

For changing the PHP Memory Limit you will need to edit the php.ini file for PHP Version 7.2.18, which should be located on your server.

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly.
If you can get even higher values It would be great.

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, it means, with a default theme and not other plugins installed.

Please also change the value of "maxInputVars" inside of your php.ini file. You are currently using a value of 1000. I would recommend you to change this setting to at least 3000.
You can find the php.ini file on your server inside the folder for your currently used PHP version 7.2.18.

In case of any doubt please contact your hosting provides and ask for assistance.

I have already translated the string "About Us" on String Translation. I hope changing the memory limits will solve the issue. Otherwise please reach out to us again.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 28, 2019 at 9:28 am #3904677

abdullahO-5

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your support. I asked the host to make the changes as you have asked and they have done so. I tried to update the footer again to see if it shows in arabic but to no avail. Can you please check what could be the reason for this?

Thanks

May 28, 2019 at 5:20 pm #3908995

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I can see that the Footer Text is based on the Footer Menua dn that this menu is translated and synchronized.

Could you please make a backup of your site and database and let me know if the footer appears translated if you switch to a default theme like Twenty Nineteen?

Kind regards
Andreas

May 28, 2019 at 6:49 pm #3909551

abdullahO-5

Hi Andreas,

Sure, let me check it.

Thanks

May 30, 2019 at 2:49 pm #3923995

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Switching the theme could provide further information about if the issue is theme related. If the footer translation works with a default theme then we will know where to go on testing.

Let me know about the outcome.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 1, 2019 at 1:37 pm #3935191

abdullahO-5

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I contacted the theme support. They say the theme does not fully support the RTL, that is why these issues are arising. So I have a question for you, if a theme does not fully support RTL, how do we customize it?

Regards