This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
July 21, 2019 at 5:02 am #4251329

佐山 義次

I am trying to: translate a post from Japanese to English.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: I haven't got a link, simply couldn't translate a post to English from Japanese.

I expected to see: the normal string translation for the post too in order for me to translate the blog post, not just the media.

Instead, I got: only the media, such as attached images along with the captions of photos in the blog post.

July 21, 2019 at 1:26 pm #4252321

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

If I understand, correctly you are getting this problem in WPML's Translation Editor when you try to translate the post. Is this correct?
It would be good if you could send me screenshots of the issue. Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Also, I can see that you are using the stork_custom theme. Is it a custom theme?
Can you please to see if the problem persist if you temporarily switch the theme to a default WordPress theme like TwentyNineteen?

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 23, 2019 at 11:45 am #4265627

佐山 義次

Hi Itamar.

Thank you for your response. Attached with this reply are screenshots of the problems that I face through when I want to translate from Japanese to English. Normally, there is string translation available for the text posts. This time, it is only available for the media to be translated - which is unnecessary.

To answer to your question in regards to the theme that I apply on my WordPress, yes, I am using a custom theme.

I have tried your suggestion, and the problem still persist. Changing the theme did not make any difference at all, aside from the appearance of my blog.

Thank you,
Sayama

July 23, 2019 at 3:57 pm #4267791

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Sayama.

I'm sorry, but it might be that I was not clear enough. Please check if the problem persists with a new post when you change the theme. Can you try, please?

If you were trying to see if anything changed in an already existing translation after switching the theme, then you might still see the problem from when the custom theme was enabled.

I look forward to your reply!

Itamar.

July 24, 2019 at 12:40 pm #4274431

佐山 義次

Hi Itamar,

I have tried your suggestion, this time by making a new post in Japanese. The next step was to translate it to English, and the situation remains the same.

The result was similar as to the screenshots that I have shared with you, although this time round, I tried it with a new post.

There definitely is something wrong with my WPML's string translation feature in my blog, its just that I can't really pinpoint exactly what the problem is.

As I mentioned before, the result is still the same - I can only translate medias which does not exactly appear in the public post to view.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Sayama

July 24, 2019 at 4:22 pm #4276345

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Sayam and thanks for trying my suggestions.

Judging by this screenshot, it looks like you are using a page builder.
hidden link
Are you using a page builder to build your page?
By looking at the debug info I couldn't recognize any page builder among the plugins.
Were things working correctly with your theme in the past and just lately something happened, or it never worked?

If needed, please share with me the access to your site.
If you need further help with this, please share the access details to your site with me.
I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- - Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. --

Thanks,
Itamar.

July 27, 2019 at 10:26 am #4293137

佐山 義次

Hi Itamar,

I apologise for the very delayed response from my side. My schedule has been quite hectic lately.

May I know what type of role should I give you in terms of adding a new user into my WordPress account? I will create one for you as soon as possible.

Again, thank you for your time in handling this issue.

Regards,
Sayama

July 28, 2019 at 3:36 pm #4295617

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Sayama.

You should give an administrator role. Please also answer the questions from my previous reply.

Thanks,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Cannot translate post using string translation. Only works with media.’ is closed to new replies.