This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bet 1 week, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 5, 2019 at 7:30 am #4516139

Bet

Hi, we are publishing an identical post on two different translated websites. I want to add a canonical tag on the duplicated post that points to the original version.

How do I handle hreflang in this situation?

As I understand from this post (hidden link) about canonical and hreflang, I need to make sure that URLs that have a canonical tag pointing to another URL do not receive hreflang annotations, otherwise it will be confusing to Google.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

September 5, 2019 at 12:58 pm #4519387

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

so after some consult, here we are.

WPML adds automatically canonical URLs to duplicated content so that Google does not mark them as copied content.

Since your case is a bit different, you can use a canonical URL in your second site to point to the first one - this should solve the problem and you can easily do it with Yoast, for example, that is WPML compatible.

About hreflangs, it's not possible to remove them or Google won't know in which language the page is written, but this shouldn't cause any issue with the rankings. But pointing the canonical URL to the first site you should avoid any problem.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.

September 5, 2019 at 5:30 pm #4521075

Bet

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!