Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 9, 2020 at 11:12 pm #6563417

omarA-38

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Dear WPML staff
I am facing a very serious problem on my site, generated because of WPML.
My website consists of many versions created by using WPML {International , United Arab Emirates , Saudi Arabia , Kuwait , Egypt}.
All of them in Arabic language, my problem spots on canonical tags between versions.
In my website each post has 5 different copies along all the versions , the default is the International one.
So , I want each post in the other versions "countries" to have same canonical tag which should be pointing to the default version.
It is mentioned in the page source of any post on my website that the canonical tags was generated by "WPML"

For example , the link below shows a post in the default version
hidden link

and this link is for the same post but in the United Arab Emirates version
hidden link

by checking the canonical tag you will find it like this
"<link rel="canonical" href="hidden link">"

this is so wrong , I want it to point to the same post in the international version which is the default one.
Thank you

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Could not find any in your website

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Explained above

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

July 12, 2020 at 12:17 pm #6577345

omarA-38

Anyone here?

July 12, 2020 at 1:16 pm #6577455

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you.

My understanding of your issue is that you expect the canonical link to be the same for all languages. Is this correct?

First, it is important for me to mention that WPML does not create any rel="canonical" tags.
Other plugins like Yoast SEO might be adding these tags.
hidden link

WPML will create the hreflang tags only and possible translate the canonical tags you generate from a different plugin.

Nevertheless, you may expect to see the same canonical tags if the "page" post type has been set as "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" here:
WPML > Settings > Post Type Trnaslations

Is this your case?

thanks for the clarifications and confirmation

July 12, 2020 at 3:59 pm #6577981

omarA-38

My understanding of your issue is that you expect the canonical link to be the same for all languages. Is this correct?
Yes, this is what I need
--------------------------------------
"possible translate the canonical tags you generate from a different plugin." here is my issue, I do not want WPML to translate canonical tags automatically, I need all the the versions having the same canonical tag, and If I want to translate it, I can do it manually.
in another words, I WANT a duplicate versions, not a translated versions

July 12, 2020 at 7:56 pm #6578223

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Alright - where are you setting this value? It may be that we need to change the multilingual settings for this to be "Do not translate".

If you know what the custom field is, you can try to set this setting yourself here:
WPML > Settings > Custom Field Translation

The topic ‘[Closed] Canonical tag’ is closed to new replies.