This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by David 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
August 21, 2019 at 4:33 pm

David

Hi,

The base language of the website is Swedish with English translations. Previously, the Customizer displayed content in Swedish and we used string translation to translate to English. However, after changing the dashboard language to English, the English content now appears for both the Swedish and English versions of the website (for example, the What I do text at the beginning of the front page).

The Customizer now only shows the English content and we can't change it back to Swedish.

Is there a language switcher for the Customizer that we can use? Is there some bug that is not allowing us to change the language of the content displayed in the Customizer?

Thanks in advance,

David

August 21, 2019 at 5:33 pm
August 21, 2019 at 5:34 pm #4434223

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

I have a few unanswered questions from our chat. Most importantly, can you give me a specific example of a string that you would like to see translated, but is not? Just so I can make sure I'm looking in the correct place?

Thanks,
Lauren

August 21, 2019 at 5:51 pm #4434367

David

Hi Lauren, sorry, I had to step away from the computer for a bit.

Here's an example: The text on the home page What I do displays only in English on both the Swedish and English versions of the website. Previously, it displayed in Swedish by default and was translated to English via string translation.

How can we restore the Swedish content to the Swedish version?

Also, my web developer wanted to add a different shortcode to the Swedish and English versions of the front page and assumed that it would be possible to switch the language in the Customizer to do this. Is that simply not possible?

August 21, 2019 at 7:27 pm #4434807

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for clarifying. So, after changing the language, you likely need to register the admin texts again. To do this, go to WPML -> String Translation. At the bottom of the page is a link "Translate strings in admin texts". Click this, and then look for the section named theme_mods_[your-theme-name]. Here, you should find the content that you created in Appearance -> Customizer.

Typically, you can select the strings and scroll to the bottom to click Apply. I tried that for you on your site but they didn't get added. This usually happens when the MaxInputVars are not high enough.

Please try increasing your Max Input Vars. You can do this by adding this line to your .htaccess file:

php_value max_input_vars 20000

or by following these steps:
1. Connect to your site via FTP or File Manager
2. Navigate to wp-admin folder
3. Create a file inside wp-admin folder called php.ini
4. Add in this line: max_input_vars = 20000
5. Save

If you don't have access to these files, please ask your hosting provider to do this for you.

Once that is done, try going back to the admin texts to try to add them.

Alternately, you can add the admin texts via WPML -> Settings -> Custom XML Configuration. You still would need to increase max input vars.

After this, once you have translated the strings, let me know if they display correctly on the front end.

August 24, 2019 at 8:44 pm #4452269

David

Hi Lauren,

Thanks a lot for your efforts so far in helping us resolve this.

We've looked into this a little more and realized that string translation and the texts I referred to before are not really at the heart of the problem. We tested and it worked to simply put the Swedish content back in place in the customizer and then the existing string translations continued to work. This seemed to be simpler than changing the language and translating in the other direction.

Now I'd like to try to ask three specific questions to get to the bottom of this:

1. Is there a language switcher in the customizer and how do we activate it?

2. We found elsewhere a line of code to try to activate this language switcher in the function.php file but it is not working. Can you tell us if there is an error in the way it was inserted below?

<?php
function beonepage_pro_child_enqueue_parent_theme_style() {

// Dynamically get version number of the parent stylesheet (lets browsers re-cache your stylesheet when you update your theme)
$theme = wp_get_theme( 'beonepage-pro' );
$version = $theme->get( 'Version' );

// Load the stylesheet
wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri().'/style.css', array(), $version );
}
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'beonepage_pro_child_enqueue_parent_theme_style' );
do_action('wpml_add_language_selector');
?>

3. If you look at the footer of friedmanstrategiccopy.com you'll see that there are two logos. If you click on the English version of the website, hidden link you'll see that there are four logos. We removed two of the logos but this was only reflected in the Swedish version. How do we edit design elements of the English home page? One of the purposes is to ensure that the number of logos is uniform (only 2) on both pages. Another purpose is to purposely be able to use different code in some places. We can only edit the Swedish version at present and this is why we keep asking about a language switcher for the customizer.

I hope I've explained the issue better now and apologize if I didn't explain it as well before.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

David

August 26, 2019 at 5:48 pm #4460659

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for the additional information. I'll try to answer the questions as best I can.

1. No, there is not a language switcher for the Appearance -> Customization. The correct way to translate the options from the Customize section is by using String Translation. You cannot change languages to save different code per language using the customizer interface.

2. There is no language switcher to activate for Customizer.

3. I deleted the string that had already been registered, this probably happened due to the language switch. I then resaved the Footer Copyright content and now the string appears in String Translation and can be translated there.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

September 5, 2019 at 10:19 am #4518381

David

Hi Lauren,

Thanks. Could you please just walk us through how exactly you got the right logos to display in the footer on both the English and Swedish pages? We will need to replicate this process when we make future design changes to the home page to ensure both language pages match.

Thanks,

David