This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Why is my "Site Language" field in Settings > General stuck in one language?

Solution: Once WPML has been activated, the "Site Language" section found in > Settings > General, will be handled by WPML and can be changed only through Users > Your Profile > Language

Relevant Documentation:https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/setting-the-wordpress-administration-language/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by fernandoV-2 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 12, 2018 at 3:44 pm #2812518

fernandoV-2

I am trying to: change the site language from English to Spanish (MX)

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I had this site originally in English, bit now I added the WPL plugin and created a spanish version.

I now set Spanish as my main language and English as the se second language in WPML settings hidden link

The problem is that in the WP Settings/General the site language is stuck to English. If I change it to spanish MX and save , it goes back to English.

If I deactivate the WPML plugin the setting works , but as soon as I activate the language goes back to English.

Can you please help me...?

I did this before for my own site : hidden link
in which I originally made the site in english but then I translated it to spanish and set it as the main language. I had no problem there ( used the same WP Theme).

October 12, 2018 at 4:09 pm #2812594

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello Fernando,
Welcome to WPML Support
I'll try to help you solve this problem.

You'll be able to change the default admin panel language by going to Users > Your Profile, and selecting "Spanish" in the "Language" option.

This happens because WPML allows every user to have their own Admin panel Language, so the option in Settings > General will now be controlled by WPML and not by wordpress (as it is when WPML is disabled), that's why it didn't work when you tried.

Hope this answer helped you solve this problem, but if it didn't, don't hesitate to tell me and i'll do my best and try to get to the bottom of the issue.

October 12, 2018 at 4:17 pm #2812603

fernandoV-2

Hello.

Thanks for the quick response.
I don't want to change the Admin Language in the "Users" Section. Right now it's set to English. That's how I want it. I want the backend to be in English.

What I want to change is the Site Language that is under Settings/General.
It's stuck in English and I want to change it to Spanish. It won't let me. It's stuck.
If I deactivate the WPML plugin it will let me make the change...

I didn't have this problem when I worked on my site... velarde.com

October 12, 2018 at 5:14 pm #2812750

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Ok, don't worry, we'll get through this.

You want to change the language that appears under the "Site Language" Option that you find in WPML > General (See Image attached: "Site Language (settings - general).jpg" ), right?

That option from the referenced image above, when WPML is deactivated, handles both the backend (the admin panel, what's inside of wp-admin) and the front-end (what the people coming to your site sees) sides of your site.

The thing is that when WPML is active, those both sides that were first handled by 1 option, are now being "split" into 2 separate options:

1) The back-end is now controlled by WPML and you can only change it through Users > Your Profile > Language.

2) The front-end will now be handled from the language switcher.

If you try to change the setting under Settings > General (reference to the image), you'll see that no matter what you change it into, it will return to the one that was there when you first selected the default language of the site.

To test what i just explained above, you can briefly change the language under Users > Your Profile > Language (as referenced here: "user profile language.png" ), change it to Spanish and then go to Settings > General. You will now notice that the site language will have "changed" to Spanish. and if you try to change that option to English or another language, it will not work, it will return to Spanish (as it did before when it was set to "English").

I hope i made myself clear this time, and i'm very sorry for the misunderstanding.

If this is still not what you're looking for, it would really help if you made a detailed list of what you want to achieve, or maybe show me an example of how the other site's options (velarde.com) look like, that way i'll understand better and will probably be able to help you achieve what you are looking for.

October 12, 2018 at 11:26 pm #2813132

fernandoV-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!