Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.24 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: After installing WPML in the wrong language, how to converts it to the right language?

Solution:

If you have not done any translation, follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > Support > Troubleshooting - At the end of the page, look for "Reset" - Select the "I am about to reset all translation and language data." option - Click on the "Reset and deactivate WPML" button. - After just reactivated the WPML ( Plugins> Installed Plugins ) - Configure the WPML again, this time selecting the correct language.

* Before you follow the steps above, make a full backup of your site,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices.

Last updated by david-alejandroC 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 6, 2016 at 12:14 pm #945408

innarH

I am trying to: change Site Language from English to Eesti (Settings - General). But once WPML is installed and in WPML I've set site default language to Estonian, then I can choose Site Language to be either Estonian or English, but after saving Site Language remains English, although I chose Estonian.
Please see screenshot:
hidden link

The problem is that all pages, posts, taxonomies etc are in English, but I need them to be in Estonian (I've already created many pages before installing WPML etc)
See screenshot: hidden link

Problem might be because when I initially installed WPML I think I chose default language English. I've uninstalled and re-installed WMPL several times, but can't fix the issue.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

Steps to duplicate the issue:

I can provide access to site admin if necessary.

July 6, 2016 at 2:52 pm #945838

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thanks for contacting us.

Yes. This happened because you installed WPML with the default language English.

This site language option is set by WPML. The option is English because the default language in WPML > Languages is in English or on the Users > Your Profile > "Select your language" is in English.

----- I've uninstalled and re-installed WMPL several times, but can't fix the issue.

Click on the WPML > Support > Troubleshooting. Look for 'Clean up' and click on these buttons:
- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information

Please, after following these steps, let me know if the problem is resolved.

Thank you.

July 7, 2016 at 7:47 am #946781

innarH

I followed the steps, but it didn't resolve the issue.
Site language is still English, not matter if I choose and save Estonian.

July 7, 2016 at 12:26 pm #947332

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

----- Site language is still English, not matter if I choose and save Estonian.

This option is set or the default language WPML or profile page. The screenshot you posted above, you are using the Estonian language as the default, but the interface is in English. This should not be the issue, however.

Have you done any translation? If not, you can completely reset the WPML and install again. To do this click on the WPML > Support > Troubleshooting. At the end of the page, look for "Reset". Select the "I am about to reset all translation and language data." option and click on the "Reset and deactivate WPML" button.

After just reactivated the WPML (Plugins> Installed Plugins) and set the WPML again, this time selecting the correct language.

** Note that these steps should be followed only if you have no translation. This will reset / remove WPML.

Please let me know if the problem persists after following these steps.

Thank you.

July 7, 2016 at 1:01 pm #947412

innarH

Thank. Resetting solved the issue.
As I thought and you suggested!

October 27, 2016 at 5:26 pm #1124699

joseA-21

Hello I have the same problem!

And my biggest problem is that i already have some pages translated.

What can i do?

Thanks

October 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm #1126005

zuhalB

I'm having the same problem. I reset, my new set up, but the problem was solved. I want to use the Turkish language in the admin panel.

November 14, 2016 at 4:24 pm #1136243

FilippoZ1

Salme problem,
I can't reset WPML as it's a fully translated Woocommerce site

December 5, 2016 at 1:27 pm #1151533

saschaS-9

Hi
I have same problem. I did all you said above. But still some text are in english. It need to be in German.
Thanks Advance

April 12, 2017 at 4:04 pm #1253131

david-alejandroC

Hello!

I would like to ask if by doing I will start from scratch? My configurations and my translated pages will be deleted? Can you kindly confirm? I have seen others asking this but no replies yet.

Best regards,
David.