This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.07 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Author Posts
June 18, 2015 at 9:50 am #641345

Régis

Hi,
this appears on 2 of my latest websites, both with latest versions of WP 4.2.2 and an up to date WPML suite :
WPML, String translation, translation management

On the "String translation" screen, I can't see anymore the button which allow to change the default string language.

My website is in French, with english and spanish translations.
My main content is in french but also my theme strings.

What I see in this screen now, is "english" as default, with french strings. The translations can be done in french and spanish.

French should be the default language, and in older versions, it was a feature I was able to do on this page with a dedicated button.

Any suggestion? How can I achieve that?

June 18, 2015 at 8:31 pm #641896

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

You can keep French as default language, but the strings must be in English.

You can read more in our documentation: https://wpml.org/faq/string-translation-default-language-not-english/

That is, as the strings are usually in English - including the strings of the WP and the majority of plugins and themes, so you must register strings in English and then translated into other languages.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thank you.

June 19, 2015 at 9:38 am #642171

Régis

Unfortunately, since this feature was very useful for me (all our themes were by default in french) I used it everytime I had to translate a website. My first action was always to configure the string translation module with french as the original strings language and it worked great.
What will be the behaviour of all my old sites (which had french marked as the string main language) when I'll update the WPML suite?
Will french stay as main language?

June 19, 2015 at 1:46 pm #642419

Bruno
Supporter

When you update WPML, the strings will be in English and you can translate it to French.

When you selected a language other than English for strings, it was displayed an alert at the top of the page showing to be highly recommended to use strings in English. Now the WPML uses English as the default.

For example, if your theme has strings in English and you selected the French option for your strings, this would cause conflict (some strings in English and others in French). What WPML 3.2 does is, by default, keep all the strings in English. This avoids problems with strings being registered in two or more languages.

In our documentation we explain in more detail why it is important to use strings in English: https://wpml.org/faq/string-translation-default-language-not-english/

Note that even on a theme that has strings in French, it is recommended to use English. Otherwise, you will have the theme of the strings in French and the other strings in English (as the WP core), causing conflict of strings.

I reported this to our developers.

Thank you.

June 19, 2015 at 2:52 pm #642503

Régis

I understand but I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only user who creates theme only in my own language.
Most of the time, for a french client, mockups, conception, etc. everything is done in french, and translations are done in a second time.
If I understand your guidelines, we should now desin themes in English as soon as we start a project!

Besides, plenty of times, clients want a frencn version first, then ask us for a translated version after several months...
Telling our developpers to create themes in english will be much more expensive with this new WPML version.

All my old websites running WPML are including strings in french!!! What will I do if I need to make evolutions on one of them?

I'm sure you'll lose a lot of users with this update 🙁

June 19, 2015 at 8:45 pm #642665

Bruno
Supporter

Our developers are aware that some customers are with this problem. I am waiting for their responses.

When I have the answers, I'll keep you updated.

Thank you.

July 3, 2015 at 6:19 pm #652434

Sergey

Hi,
Same problem here. I just installed WPML on a French website and need to translate strings from French to English. How am I supposed to do that now, since the option of selecting language of strings is gone ?

Please help ASAP.

July 7, 2015 at 7:54 pm #654476

marwanN

Here's wondering the same thing.
Any how to's to resolve the problem?
Maybe downgrading WPML version?

July 8, 2015 at 1:05 pm #655090

maudeP

Same problem here. No solution yet?

July 13, 2015 at 11:18 am #657871

krzysztofT-2

IMHO this should be done as follows: all strings that are in plugins and themes should be treated by WPML not as English, but as Various. And from Various, we should have the option to translate into any language, including English and our local ones. Please forward this to the developers, it seems like the best solution which solves all the problems.

The topic ‘[Closed] can't change the default language of strings anymore the in latest versions’ is closed to new replies.