This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

The problem: user couldn't use the setting for "Post Name" in WordPress's permalink Settings with WPML active.

The solution: user had to check and ensure that URL rewriting's mode was enabled. - Check if there is a .htaccess file in the root folder - Check URL rewriting's mode - Enable it in the case it wasn't - Regenerate the permalinks.

More information here: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
April 21, 2015 at 7:42 am #602994

thiagoA

I am trying to: Use WPML with the "Post Name" in WordPress's permalink setting.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: A translated page

Instead, I got: 404 error.

April 21, 2015 at 11:14 am #603213

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Thanks for contacting WPML support.
After visiting you site, I can see that WPML is working but not in the way you expect.
Before install WPML, have you set this configuration in WordPress's permalink setting? Was it working until you installed WPML? Can you check if WordPress enables URL rewriting?

WPML needs Make sure that WordPress enables URL rewriting in order to correctly establish links between original and copy. You can read more carefully here
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/

Could you please confirm that this mode is enable?

Note: You can have a red warning in WPML language panel - Language URL format

April 21, 2015 at 11:47 am #603235

thiagoA

I made sure that the .htaccess file has the correct content, still doesn't help.

My WPML is set to: "Language name added as a parameter" (hidden link)

However, when I set WordPress's permalink setting is set to "Post Name", clicking on the "this page is also available in <language>", does not bring the translated page (although I can see the parameter in the URL).

When I set back to default permalink: /?p=1336 then it works but now I have ugly links for the site (besides many references from the web will no longer work, so I need this to work with "Post Name" permalink). Is this not supported by WPML?

BR/Thiago

April 21, 2015 at 12:25 pm #603284

thiagoA

Hi. It seems that the issue was a combination of problems: after making sure .htaccess was correct I noticed that the rewrite module was deactivated. Re-activating it with the proper .htaccess solved it.
Anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

BR/Thiago

April 21, 2015 at 2:18 pm #603387

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hi Thiago,

I'm glad you solved your problem. Rewriting can be tricky, but I'm happy to know that you realised fast where the problem came from.

Regards,
Andrés