This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.32 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jackT 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
May 20, 2020 at 4:01 pm #6179303

jackT

When WPML is activated on the site, the backend gets extremely slow. I found an answer which says to push the button Recreate ST DB cache tables, but which one is that? I'm using WPML in Dutch ;), see screenshot. I hope that will help to fix the problem.

When making backups I get the message [Warning] Tabel wp_icl_string_pages has a lot of rows (253470).

May 21, 2020 at 3:41 pm #6188029

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

With the latest version of WPML String Trnaslation, these tables are now defunct and no longer used.

If you are having performance issues, please follow the guidelines here:
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

If this does not help, then please provide a copy of your site as per this article and I can then escalate it to the team that looks at performance problems.
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Please don´t try to upload the Duplicator package to the forum but rather use WeTransfer and only include the downloadable link in your reply.

May 22, 2020 at 7:06 am #6192745

jackT

Thanks Yvette. I've done everything I can now to speed up the backend, the rest should depend on the servers of the provider.

Jack

May 22, 2020 at 4:51 pm #6197353

jackT

I just did another backup of the database and I got a warning that the table string translation has over 250.000 rows... Is that normal? It's not a big site.

hidden link

May 24, 2020 at 9:08 am #6203475

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

That does seem high but it´s hard to tell since the String Translation depends on what you have "registered" for translation. Widgets, menu items, admin texts, taxonomy terms, ....

In my test site with almost zero user-content, I have 3K strings.

It could be that you have many strings registered that you don´t need to have. Is it causing problems with performance?

If so, then if you have many strings in status "non-translated" and your site is translating fine...then you could consider eliminating the text-domains that are not helpful to you.

May 25, 2020 at 8:40 am #6207991

jackT

That sounds like a good idea, but how can I do that? I can select all strings in a certain Text Domain, but is there a way to delete complete Text Domains?

May 25, 2020 at 1:36 pm #6210749

Yvette
Supporter

Yes, That was my thought: use the filter to select text domains and then delete all the strings found in there.

May 28, 2020 at 7:48 am #6236553

jackT

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!