This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jacekO 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
July 12, 2019 at 9:41 am #4197223

jacekO

I am trying to: change a custom link in the menu of a translated menu item

If i go to the menu navigation in wp admin i can change all the things in my primary language but when i swich to transtations it stops working. I change custom menu link to for example google.com and click save. I got no error but the change dosent save and when i come back to edit it again its still the old link not google.com

I've try to disable all the plugins but that didn't help. plus I've got all the latest updates.

July 12, 2019 at 10:45 am #4197769

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Jacek,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Could you please paste me here your WPML Debug Info? This will helo me to check the server requirements: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

I would eventually also need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Links to the […] Edit Screen, the Page/Post where you insert the […] and the corresponding Front End Page/Screen

Best Marcel

July 12, 2019 at 10:58 am #4197909

jacekO

Hi Marcel, thanks for the fast reply

I've provided you with the debug informations. Unfortunalty I can't give you any access to the page (legal obligations with a third party).

I know that that the informations that im providing can by too small but mayby you will just direct me in the direction on where to look for the solution or mayby somebody that you recall had the same issue.

July 12, 2019 at 12:57 pm #4199051

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Jacek,

thanks for the Debug Info.

#1 You are currently using WPML version 4.1.1. Could you please update first all WPML plugins and try it again? You can do it under Plugins -> Install -> Commercial
#2 Please also check after if you see any JavaScript conflicts in the Browser Dev Tools (F12).

Best
Marcel

July 12, 2019 at 1:13 pm #4199179

jacekO

The 4.1.1 is only on production servers. The develop ones that we have are updated and curently up-to-date (v. 4.2.7.1)
JS dosent have any errors as we can add and sort elements but after saving it disapears.

July 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm #4199919

Marcel
Supporter

I want to run the following:

#1 Switch to the Twenty Nineteen Theme
#2 Deactivate all plugins except WPML and check if the error is gone
#3 Could you please add me your PHP error log?

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Please note that you’ll see everything, not only related to our Plugins.
This will most likely include messages from other plugins, your theme and sometimes even WordPress core. The messages appear all over the place.
Sometimes they appear right on top, but they can also appear in the middle of the page.

DOC:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Please report me the errors you are seeing. If you can't provide site access, I can offer you a site migration to our Cloudways server if this would be an alternative.

Kind Regards
Marcel

July 16, 2019 at 6:57 am #4216741

jacekO

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!
It turned out that when changing urls in the service for more custom ones then wordpress supports we interfere with the wpml core translated pages binding. We just needed to update it so that wpml could read them properly. The odd thing was that we didnt get any error no logs, no printed one, no in the console. It just didnt save the data to db.
Agaon thanks for the support Marcel!!