This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by igorN-6 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 6, 2018 at 11:24 am #2710359

igorN-6

I am trying to: Translate categories

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: A check mark under all the languages the category is already translated

Instead, I got: A plus sign, instead

Ps.: You guys already have our page recently replicated on your Sandbox.

A quick introduction: We started to have problems with categories way back in 2017 when we realize categories NEEDs to be translated to appear in other languages, the fallback option was later added to WPML options, but still not working (open ticket here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-categories-fallback-not-working/).

The workaround suggested then was to replicate the categories to its respective languages.

Back to 2018, WPML refuses to translate some specific products, some support tickets (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cant-save-translations-3/) and many tinkering later, we were back at categories as the culprit (too many for WPML to handle).

The workaround suggested then was to replicate the categories to its respective languages.

SO GREAT NEWS, one solution for all our categories' problems... except the solution is also broken. 🙁

Today we tried to replicate the categories and found out the already translated categories are shown in WPML as not-translated (even through it does load the translated content in the front end), also, clicking at "Copy to all languages" sometimes work, sometimes doesn't (some categories does appear as having a local version while others keep the plus sign.)

September 6, 2018 at 3:55 pm #2711525

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I´ll be helping you with the issue of Taxonomy Translations not seeing existing translations in your database.

Please do the following:

1. Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2. Install and activate the ARI Adminer plugin
Make a full system/database backup of your site that you are comfortable being able to restore.

3. ) Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

4. You wrote: "... You guys already have our page recently replicated on your Sandbox...·
If this is the case, it indicates that someone else is working on a related issue. We will handle this work separately.

September 7, 2018 at 7:26 am #2713419

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I´ve checked your configuration and can see that there are other areas where the "view" of what you have in the database is not the same as what the various tools thinks you have.

e.g. Taxonomy Translation, Product base transltion,

This suggests an overall database problem in my opinion.

I see that you are using MySQL 5.5. The recommended level for Woocommerce AND WordPress is 5.6. This is also the min **required** by WPML to work as expected
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

To begin, then, can you please upgrade your MySQL level to 5.6 and then write back so I can continue the debug/investigation?

Thanks

September 7, 2018 at 7:36 am #2713497

igorN-6

Just checked with my server and thats not an option, we can contract/migrate to another server if that would solve the problems.

September 7, 2018 at 7:37 am #2713499

igorN-6

We just want to avoid migrating it and same problems persist.

September 7, 2018 at 8:25 am #2713728

Yvette
Supporter

I don´t know what to telll you. I could not gurantee that this migration would resolve your current issue, but I can say that it will contribute to other issues for sure. At the moment, you are not in compliance with the min requirements for WordPress or WPML.

Googling the difference between MySQL 5.5 and 5.6 along with the diff between MyIsam and InnoDB I found this important feature for your particular installation that woudl be missing:

"...MyISAM has FULLTEXT search indexes, InnoDB did not until MySQL 5.6 (Feb 2013)..."

Your db has mostly InnoDb tables.

IN any case, it would make sense to have the required infrastructure for your site to ensure solid operation if not for this case...for other related features.

September 10, 2018 at 6:43 am #2718765

igorN-6

Ok, we will move hosts, is it possible to fix those tables and make a backup before it?

September 10, 2018 at 7:25 am #2718945

Yvette
Supporter

It is my opinion that there are no tables to "fix". It is the MySQL that has an incorrect view of the tables because the level you have does not support the kind of searches being conducted.

It would be sufficient to make a backup of your entire installation and migrate it to another hosting that does support the min level of SQL without having to touch the database.

You can use something like DUPLICATOR plugin, for example.

Does this answer your question?

September 10, 2018 at 7:45 am #2719007

igorN-6

¿Can we have it replicated in a sandbox to test it?
We did had one not long ago but its not accesible anymore: hidden link

September 10, 2018 at 8:06 am #2719070

Yvette
Supporter

Yes, I can open a sandbox but I am not sure how this will help you with a database issue. The Sandbox is a completely different database instance and meant to test compatibility issues with specfic singular plugins or themes.

If you prefer, you can send me a duplicator snapshot of your site and I can install it on a localserver that DOES have the right level of MySQL.

This would seem to be a better test of your site. Duplciator is a free and easy to use plugin. You can either send mea downloadable link where to a file sharing service where you place the Duplicator package for download. OR you can create the Duplicator package on your site and let me know if I can go in and download it directly from you WOrdpress install.

But, I repeat, even if the level of SQL is not related to your partcular issue, you should realise that your installation is not using the correct levels of technology for the operating framework.

September 10, 2018 at 8:17 am #2719134

igorN-6

I do understand, and we will change servers anyways, but I need to make sure it would fix this issue or not so we can keep trying to diagnose it meanwhile.

Can you enable the private reply in the next message so I can add the duplicator links?

September 10, 2018 at 9:50 am #2719494

Yvette
Supporter

Ok - here you go.

I won´t be able to get to this until Wed, however, as I am officially on holiday. However, if I¨m able to, I´ll try installing it this evening.

Kind regards.

September 14, 2018 at 10:36 am #2735059

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I´m having some difficulty getting your site migrated. Would you mind if I tried the DUplciator path again? Sometimes with the right filters on the files and the database, I can get it to work.

If that does not work, then I would simply ask you to make a zip of the wp-content directory of your site and I´ll try importing the database your provided and merge a fresh installation with the wp-content directory.

Thanks for letting me know.

September 14, 2018 at 10:41 am #2735095

igorN-6

Feel free to try the duplicator... but the database is copied, isn't easier to just connect through FTP and copy the files?

September 14, 2018 at 12:26 pm #2735313

Yvette
Supporter

Easier said than done.

Just grabbing the ../wp-content/plugins directory has already taken over 1 hour to complete over FTP. If you could zip the ../wp-content/ direcotry this would help me tons.

I am opening the private area for the zip download link. I just need this one directory. The Duplciator worked once I excluded this directory.

Thanks