Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by diogoO 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Mladen Andrejic.

Author Posts
June 15, 2015 at 10:05 am #638264

Yotam

I am trying to: Set the default language for the strings I am translating. I looked EVERYWHERE and could not find the option to set the default language (https://wpml.org/faq/string-translation-default-language-not-english/) the option simply does not exist on my installation.

I expected to see: Translated strings.

Instead, I got: The opposite languages' strings.

June 15, 2015 at 11:17 am #638344

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Unfortunately this option is disabled right now on WPML 3.2

We are currently developing the option to change the default language of each string context, and this feature will be implemented in future releases.

Right now is this option limited to English only.

The possible workaround would be rolling back to 3.1.9.7 : Here you can find help for downgrading https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-downgrade-from-wpml-3-2/

Thanks.

June 15, 2015 at 11:52 am #638393

Yotam

So, when will this feature be ready in 3.2?

June 15, 2015 at 11:55 am #638397

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

From the debug info I see that you already have 3.2 installed. And in 3.2 is this feature not included.

As I said, it will be implemented in future releases, maybe in 3.2.2 but I can't tell you that exactly.

Thanks.

June 15, 2015 at 11:58 am #638402

Yotam

OK, so I am leaving this issue open until there is a solution.

Do you have any other suggestions on solving this? (besides downgrading).

June 15, 2015 at 12:01 pm #638408

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Since this is not an actual issue - but developers limitations (and it should be not displayed in the UI actually for now), may I kindly ask you to close this thread? If you experience any other issues, you are free to open new thread here.

Unfortunately, the downgrade is the only possibility hear.

Thanks for understanding.

June 15, 2015 at 12:03 pm #638413

Yotam

What do you mean UI Issue?
Can I set this option myself in the DB?

June 15, 2015 at 12:21 pm #638435

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Let me make the things more clear here :

- The default language of strings should be "English" because the most of the content is hardcoded in English.

- The option to change default strings language is not available in WPML 3.2 (because of what I mentioned before)

- The best way to use WPML is to have this set in English and then translate to other languages. Pretty much you should create your strings in English, as this will be the best practice and you ensure to have fully functional plugin.

Thanks.

June 15, 2015 at 12:26 pm #638443

Yotam

I would be happy to do that, but my theme has already been coded.

This would mean I would have to change at least 20 different template files to english (manually) then translate them through wpml back to my target language and I do not have that time.

It would be simpler just to change the default language.

I'm closing the issue, but I hope you will be implementing this soon.
I will try and work through a po/mo file..

August 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm #671741

diogoO

Hi,

Is this problem already resolved on the latest 3.2.2 version?

Thanks