Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Mamdouh 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Ahmed Mamdouh.

Author Posts
November 23, 2020 at 2:31 pm #7510153

ninaR-3

I am trying to: switching languages on the archive page of a cpt. But in for me not explainable way it sometimes switches to the URL /%20/

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link (and then from there switching to IT or FR or EN and on the third or fourth click it doesnt append the cpt slug anymore but /%20/ which results in a 404 page. The settings should be alright (see sreenshot attached)

I expected to see: the archive page of the chosen language

Instead, I got:a 404 page.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 15.27.19.png
November 24, 2020 at 3:44 pm #7518459

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thanks for contacting our support forum.

I’ve checked your website and I found that you are using WPML version 4.4.1 which is not up to date, So I suggest you update the WPML plugin and also please go to Settings -> Permalinks and re-save the site’s permalinks and try again.

If the problem still persists, I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin that might cause this problem. If possible get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentytwenty and no plugins activated except WPML.

You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentytwenty (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins except the WPML and its add-ons and WooCommerce itself. Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin, but before that Don’t forget to take a full site backup (files and DB) before proceeding with the above steps.

If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 24, 2020 at 4:44 pm #7519145

ninaR-3

Hi Ahmed,

thanks for your reply. I've updated all the plugins, the issues still persist. I found something strange - as I said its on every language the archive of a CPT. When synchronizing the menu it says though the translation is not available , see screenshot attached. I also added the screenshoots from the different menus, with the archive visible.

How can I fix that synchronizing menu issue?

Thanks for your help, kind regards
Nina

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.35.35.png
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.35.21.png
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.35.06.png
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.38.21.png
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.35.48.png
Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 17.41.11.png
November 25, 2020 at 1:31 pm #7525895

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

Could you please provide me with the website credentials to investigate this issue?
I set your next reply as private to safely share the needed information.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

November 27, 2020 at 10:36 am #7541909

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

I've checked your website admin panel configuration and everything is fine, so I suggest you try replicating the same issue but with a minimal environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentytwenty and no plugins activated except WPML.

If you can not do it on his live site, we will need you to provide us with a copy from the website to debug it locally.

to do this, you'll need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" on your site. This will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content. You can provide me with the snapshot following these directions:
If you already know how Duplicator works ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ ), please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

:: Duplicator instructions
hidden link

Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services)

#Important:
As the snapshot file will be quite big, you can exclude the images if the file is very big, you can use the filters to exclude the uploads file and also use the filter to exclude any compressed files with these extensions .rar, .gz and .zip )

I will set the next reply as a private reply so you can provide a link to download the duplicator package.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

December 8, 2020 at 1:20 pm #7616301

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

OK, I'm going to escalate this issue to our second tier supporters. They will escalate it to our developers if it will be needed. We'll keep you updated here on any news regarding this issue.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

December 9, 2020 at 7:41 am #7621997

ninaR-3

Ok thanks Ahmed.

December 9, 2020 at 2:47 pm #7626455

Ahmed Mamdouh
Supporter

Hi,

Kindly be informed that the issue has been resolved, Also please check our development team's comment to avoid this issue in the future

The slug in register_post_type is passed through localization function. __() and _x here \wp-content\themes\plateform_traite\inc\cpt-args.php

'has_archive'         => __( $archive, 'plateform-traite' ),
    'rewrite'             => array('slug' => _x( $archive, 'URL slug', 'plateform-traite' )),

that should be plain string as described in this example https://wpml.org/documentation/support/translating-slugs-for-custom-post-type-archives/

Moreover, you translated these strings means that you had translated the slug multiple times. I have deleted the strings registered using the localization function under domain plateform-traite and left only the string registered by WPML under domain WordPress. It is working now but you should correct the error in the code.

Best regards,
Ahmed Mamdouh.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.