This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by T4ng 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
April 24, 2019 at 1:40 pm #3673563

T4ng

I am trying to: translate meta title and description for Product categories...

From WooCommerce > WooCommerce Multilingual > Edit Category (clicking the pen) ?
>> The fields aren't available

... Or from Products > Categories > (Get in a category) > Yoast SEO ?
>> Nothing will get saved

... Or from Yoast SEO > Search Appearance > Taxonomies > Product Categories ?
>> I can just set variables for the original language.

Without this, right now, I can just have the same name for the category accross all languages.

Any tips?

April 24, 2019 at 7:45 pm #3676511

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please let me know if the methods below solve the issue?

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/woocommerce-product-category-yoast-seo-page-title-translation/#post-3438891
- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/duplicate-meta-descriptions-and-titles-in-2-languages/

Please let me know if you already tried that and if it still doesn't work.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

April 25, 2019 at 5:21 pm #3684641

T4ng

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
None of these methods works, because :
- The first one works for all categories, not individually, so that I have to work with variables and have the same title everywhere (besides the name of the category name)
- The second one neither as I can't find the variables I'm looking for in Settings > Custom Fields Translation [ > Show system fields] / Which would be something such as _yoast_wpseo_meta-product_cat_title

Regards,

April 26, 2019 at 8:24 am #3688799

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Mihai is currently on vacation. If you don't mind, i would like to continue with you in solving this issue.

According to your debug informations, you are not using our glue plugin "Yoast Multilingual". You can install it from Plugins->Add new->Commercial(tab) or manually by downloading it from your account page or directly from this page.
https://wpml.org/download/yoast-seo-multilingual/?section=changelog

If this does not help, i have created a test server, please configure WPML on it, install Yoast and Yoast Multilingual and let me check how this can be done.
hidden link

Best regards,
Jamal

April 26, 2019 at 11:17 am #3690243

T4ng

Hi Jamal,

We have your glue plugin on the tracks on a preprod (and hopefully very soon in prod), so that I could test the first solution, and check it doesn't offers translations on a per category basis.
Instead I can use variables, but even there, I can't set the original translation value, from the Products > Categories > Edit > Yoast section: it's not gonna be saved.

I configured what I could on your platform, but don't have any licence, so can't test further.

Regards,

April 26, 2019 at 3:45 pm #3692107

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your efforts. If you are talking about WPML license, i have registered the site, updated all WPML plugins and installed Yoast Multilingual.
Would you like to try again ?
Can you write down detailed steps, or record a short video, so i can reproduce the error the way you did ?

Thank you,
Jamal

April 29, 2019 at 8:26 am #3701065

T4ng

Hi Jamal,

Ok think I found what was wrong.

I took it back from the basics, and followed these steps on your test website:
1. Create the category from the Product category view, in original language
2. Translate it though WPML > Taxonomy translation > "+"
3. Get back to the Product category view > edit (original category) > adjust the meta title > save
4. Switch to another language, and do the same.

This works, and that's (pretty) intuitive.

After doing it successfully on your test website, I failed to do the same on ours.
After some tests, I realized it was because we had to trick WPML to have the same slug for the same category in every language. And though it's very useful, this trick often brings other problems.

Therefore... If I change back the translated category's slug to something different through than the original one, through:
Product > Category > (translated language >) Quick edit
Then, I can basically adjust the meta title and description, and these will be saved.
Finally, I can set back my same category slug, and my custom metas will be kept.

Quite a trip... But it works.

April 29, 2019 at 10:45 am #3702249

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Yes, quite a trib as you said 🙂

I would like to understand what would you mean by we had to trick WPML to have the same slug for the same category in every language. Would you mean you are adding some code to have this behavior?

Let me know if there is still something I can do?

Best regards,
Jamal

April 29, 2019 at 10:51 am #3702363

T4ng

Well, I just meant I had to bypass WPML's/WordPress limitations to be able to have the same slug for a category across languages.

April 29, 2019 at 2:54 pm #3704659

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. As of now I set the ticket as probably resolved. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
For any other issue, please create a new ticket.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 23, 2019 at 8:32 am #4445281

T4ng

Hi Jamal,

Just to let you know that this trick is not working anymore.

I mean that since last WPML update, the category meta titles and descriptions are no longer translated if they share the same slug.
I still can see for these categories, the local adaptations from the category admin page, but it's the original language meta title and description that will appear on the frontend, in every language.

It's like these local settings can't replace the original ones anymore.

Did you guys change something that could explain this behavior?

Thanks.