Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by nicolasP-12 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author Posts
March 26, 2015 at 4:53 pm #588723

nicolasP-12

Hello, i've been searching for a solution for more than 2 hours, and i found only old posts and non-working solutions, considering the project deadline, i post here.

It is actually impossible to translate product categories on the beta site i'm working on.
_in Translation management > Multilingual content setup > Custom taxonomies, i cannot activate translation for product categories as all options are grayed out. Tried to change the

<taxonomy translate="1">product_cat</taxonomy>

line in wpml-config following instructions on a topic i found, nothing happened.
_in Woocommerce multilingual, there are tabs for the attributes, and it works, but the tab for product categories seems to be missing
_in Woocommerce multilingual > Taxonomies missing translations, categories to translate are detected, but the link takes me to the pages i was talking about, tab is still missing and page content doesn't show
_I tried in Taxonomy translations, still i can access to attributes, but no product categories show
_I tried to rescan strings, nothing changed.

As an additional issue that may help, i'm french and the client too, meaning that the admin is in french, I noticed that some general labels for translations coming from the wordpress core are set in french in the english source, meaning i cannot change it (general label for Category for example is set to be Catégorie in the english field)

Thanks for help,
Kaddath

March 27, 2015 at 10:18 am #589177

nicolasP-12

Hi again,
I have still no way to translate product categories, and it is blocking the development of an important part of the project i'm on.
The topic was [assigned] 1 hour ago, and is no more assigned now, does it mean i'll have no answer?

March 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm #589299

nicolasP-12

well still no answer, this is getting real urgent now, and the plugin seems to have other weird things:
_product translations keep generating slugs based on titles event if i change the option, i am obliged to activate editing products with regular editor to manually edit them, slug translation for products never show either, is this a normal behavior?

March 27, 2015 at 4:29 pm #589530

nicolasP-12

I need to go on with the project, so i'll have to disable product sync and assign product categories manually for translated products, write a temporary code and all.
I find disappointing to pay 80$ for a plugin which is quite messy and behaves strange sometimes. For 1 year working on wordpress, it's the first time i buy a plugin, and the first time i need support, and i cans say i worked with complicated ones without problems. I expected more from it.
If you have a solution for my problem, i would be glad, because anyway i lost too much time already on this to consider a plugin change..

March 29, 2015 at 6:12 pm #590095

Beda

Hello Nicolas

I apologize the late reply.

I do not know why our thread has been assigned and then given back to the public queue

I will now try to help you out as fast as possible and the most effective possible.

I understand you want to translate Product Categories
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/woocommerce-multilingual/#3

But it seems you are missing the proper Fields in WPML > WooCommerce Multilingual ?
Could you perhaps share a screenshot of the problematic screen?

Please could you (if possible) also provide me temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

==> Please backup your database and website <==

If possible, could you also try to update the PHP + MySQL versions to possibly latest versions?
There where issues in past, specially with PHP Versions slow 5.4
Updating it might solve some of the problems.

I would also need to know if the issues persist with Theme Twenty Fourteen and WPML + AddOns, WooCommerce + Multilingual ONLY active.

I will take a look at your site as soon I have access to it.

Please apologize again the late answer.

Thank you

March 29, 2015 at 7:05 pm #590114

svenR-4

Hi, I have quite the same problem. I get the message "Taxonomies missing translation" but if I click the link, there is no tab to edit. "Custon taxonomies" is not changeabele and I can find only one wpml-config.xml which contains "taxonomies".
Screenshot added.
Thanks for help.

P.S. I updated for PHP 5.6

March 30, 2015 at 2:15 pm #590545

nicolasP-12

Hello,

Seems i solved the problem, i'll add the solution, maybe that can help you svenR-4..

Apparently it comes from the fact that the WordPress install base was a french package. I've built a new installation from an english package (on the same server, so it wasn't a php/mysql version problem). And after the wpml settings done, manually uploaded the .po files, and then choosing french as admin language in wpml. Now i can translate product categories.
There is still the bug that the labels for product categories are registered in french in the english section of string translations (meaning that i can't change it), which i find strange because i installed an english woocommerce too with just adding the .po files, it shouldn't change the original english string.. but i'll keep that, lost already too much time on this.

I think maybe you should add a line about this somewhere, because i remember asking myself the question if i needed an english wordpress install, even searched on google and i didn't find. Still after hours of searching for solving this bug, there was mention of this nowhere.

If you find a solution for the labels registered in french, let me know, or at least report it for later fixes, because maybe this is not innocent, and who knows it could be the cause for more serious bugs in the future.

Kaddath .\°/.

March 30, 2015 at 7:43 pm #590812

svenR-4

I installed a germen version - and I'am working with this version, I don't want to install a new english version what can I do?

March 31, 2015 at 7:59 am #591060

nicolasP-12

it's the first time i have to deal with a problem on a localized package, so i cannot tell which files are different from the english version. You may have to identify which ones and try to overwrite them (after having done a backup of course). The only thing i can tell is that it's not coming from wp-config. If you don't find you may have to overwrite all. Or else it's something in the database, and then i cannot help more.

By the way i have problems now with product base slug, the slug is not translated in the product list links, leading to 404 with non english products.. don't know what to say at this point.

April 1, 2015 at 12:13 pm #592121

Beda

Hello Nicolas

I do apologize that we have not been able to help you here appropriately.

I see that still some issues are present and that you found a solution for some issues that seems to work.

I have tried to login again to your site, but probably you have already deactivated the access Data, because it returned me:

ERREUR : Nom d'utilisateur invalide.

Can I suggest to open a new thread so we can handle each issue in a separate thread, means the remaining issue(s)?

@svenr-4
We would also like to help you in your case, but the best and easiest way to do this would also be in a new thread, as you situation is related, but probably you have not exactly the same settings and server as Nicolas has.

I suggest we handle both (remaining and new issues) in new threads.
Is this OK for you?

We want to help you solve this issues and make sure our products are working flawlessly on you installs.

Thank you for understanding.

April 1, 2015 at 12:42 pm #592139

svenR-4

Yes, it is okay. I make an other thread when I need.

April 1, 2015 at 12:52 pm #592151

nicolasP-12

Hi,

I activated the user again in case you want to look at it, you can change any setting as i'm working on a fresh install in another folder now.

I used a workaround for the products broken links in secondary languages by restoring '/product' as the product base slug. The problem seems to be that the product base slug needs to be registered as 'product' and '/product' separately in the string translation to work properly, and one of the two doesn't show up when i try a custom slug. i tried to set it with and without '/' in the permalink settings, scan the strings, it didn't work. The strange part is i didn't have the problem with the first install, only in the new one. The most important right now is to get it to work quickly, so i'll keep it like that.

For the categories labels registered in french in the english section, it's not important here because it is with the admin menu labels only, and the client will only use the admin in french, so i don't need to translate it in this case.

April 1, 2015 at 12:57 pm #592154

nicolasP-12

(small update)

the broken links for products in secondary languages seem to come from the last plugin updates, as it was working until now in the first install, and it doesn't work anymore after the updates