This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by emilP-6 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 27, 2019 at 12:51 pm

emilP-6

I am trying to:
Translate our homepage from Swedish to English. Our pages are build with shortcodes for the menus, eg hidden link will show you the hidden link page and then scroll down to #karriar section.

I've translated the hidden link page and translated the string #karriar to english #career, but the translation doesn't succeed. When I show the english version of the page, the section still has #karriar as shortcode.

I've verified that "Translation is complete" is checked, and I've run the "Translate Link Targets" several times.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
hidden link (the url that I want to use, but doesn't work)

Instead, I got:
Doesn't do anything when I click "Career" in meny.

May 27, 2019 at 6:43 pm #3900295

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

It might be that the Plugin Permalink Manager is causing issues here. Could you try if it works if you deactivate this plugin? I can see that this plugin onlz allows to edit redirect URLs with the PRO version.

If not solved, please disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also I would advise you to set the site URL structure to language in directories. The option can be found at WPML -> Languages.
This way your page would appear as followed:

hidden link -> Swedish
hidden link -> English

In this case you will need to translate the Menu again on String Translation.

Let me know about the outcome in order for us to take further steps.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 28, 2019 at 8:19 am #3903951

emilP-6

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.

First of, I've changed the URL structure to language in directories.

Second, I've done some more troubleshooting and found a temporary (but not durable) workaround that might help you. If I edit the english page hidden link with the classic editor (not Advanced Translation Editor), and set the shortcode to English manually, it temporarily works. But, as soon as I use the Advanced Translation Editor and deliver any update to the page it reverts back to Swedish again.

I tried disabling the Plugin Permalink Manager as you said, but this didn't make any difference (except giving wrong url's, hidden link would instead become hidden link and unable to load). Also tried the above workaround with the plugin inactivated at all time, but exactly the same result so doesn't feel like it's causing the problem here.

Any suggestion for next troubleshooting step? I guess I could turn off more plugins, but really don't know what other plugin could cause this and since I don't have a staging page I would prefer not to crash it to much 🙂

I could buy Plugin Permalink Manager PRO if you think that's a solution.

May 28, 2019 at 9:07 pm #3910247

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the clarification. This sounds like an issue caused by the Advanced Translation Editor. I do understand right, that the redirect works like expected if the Classic Translation Editor is used for the translation?

Do I understand right that the menu shortcodes are based on the theme only? If so, could you please install the theme on the following test site for further testing. In case any addtional plugin is necessary to set the shortcode elements, please add this one as well.

One Click Login: hidden link

I also would be very thankful if you could give me detailed steps about how to recreate the issue. Please leave me short message once the test-site is ready for debugging.

If I am able to replicate the issue I will escalate it to our developers. Otherwise, me might migrate your live-site to test server for further investigation.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 29, 2019 at 6:34 am #3912105

emilP-6

Hi Andreas,

I wasn't clear enough, the redirect works like expected if I use the build in wordpress editor and edit/hard-code the english version of the page directly. If I use your Classic Translation Editor or Advanced Translation Editor it doesn't work.

I've recreated the problem on hidden link. I've done the initial configuration of the theme and your plugin, and added an translation of first section this page from English into Swedish. If you edit the translation using Classic Translation Editor you will see that the first section is translated, including the shortcodes for the menu (av_heading: heading until av_heading: heading).

If you switch to view the page hidden link, and press translate translate to Swedish button, it successfully switches to hidden link and the header gets translated. But if you click the "Funktioner" botton in menu, it tries to forward you to hidden link but it doesn't work because #funktioner hasn't been translated successfully (hidden link works).

Please let me know how to proceed.

May 30, 2019 at 1:55 am #3919299

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for recreating the issue.

I have escalated this prolblem to our compatability team for further investigation. Sadly, until now I was not able to find a solution for the issue. The strings in fact are translated but the redirect is not working. Once we can provide a workaround I will contact you on this ticket.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 31, 2019 at 1:56 am #3927005

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Our compatibility team informed me that the translation of anchor links is not yet covered as feature by WPML and we would kindly like to ask you to make a feature request here:

https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Kind regards
Andreas

May 31, 2019 at 10:59 am #3929965

emilP-6

Hi Andreas,

That's unfortunately to hear, but I will post a feature request then.

Thanks.