If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by steffenL 4 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Ivan.

Author Posts
October 21, 2015 at 12:03 pm #729816

steffenL

I am trying to: translate string "Søg på hele websitet" on the top bar on this site: hidden link It's a search field and text comes from theme options. String translation can't found it. Theme name is "The 7" and it has full support of WPML.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: that string translation will found that string.

Instead, I got: string translation not found that string.

October 22, 2015 at 9:09 am #730458

Ivan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hello Steffen,

Usually strings defined from the theme options are stored to the database. And to translate these strings it is necessary to register them for translation.

1) Go to WPML -> String translation
2) Scroll down, and on the bottom of the page click on the "Translate texts in admin screens »" link
3) Here you will see the list of all strings from database that are available for translation, find the string you want to translate, select it and click "Apply"
4) Go back to the WPML -> String translation, string should be available for translation now.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.

Thanks, Ivan

October 22, 2015 at 10:20 am #730530

steffenL

Hello Ivan!

Thanks for your advise. I have found my string, check the box and than click "apply" but string not appears in the string translation area. I make this 3 times to check.

Can you help me please?

Best,
Steffen

October 22, 2015 at 11:22 am #730573

Ivan
Supporter

Hi Steffen,

In this case we can probably try with uploading wpml-config.xml file - https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look. ou will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thanks, Ivan

October 22, 2015 at 1:41 pm #730722

Ivan
Supporter

Hi Steffen,

String should be now available for translation from String translation. I'll try to explain you how to register new strings using wpml-config.xml.

Inside your child theme folder you will see the file wpml-config.xml, open that file in your editor.
As you can see, for now is only one string registered - header-search_caption, you can easly register new strings by adding new keys.

for example:

<wpml-config>
    <admin-texts>
        <key name="the72child">
            <key name="header-search_caption" />
            <!-- add new keys here -->
            <key name="some_other_string" />
        </key>
    </admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

Key name for each string you can find on "Translate texts in admin screens »" page.

Thanks, Ivan

October 23, 2015 at 8:10 am #731228

steffenL

Thanks a lot Ivan!