This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jamiL 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
July 9, 2019 at 3:00 pm #4172185

jamiL

I have a page written in french using elementor, that contains a Testimonial Carousel widget.

When I translate that page to english, I am not seeing any fields in the translation editor to translate the testimonials defined in my widget.

Visiting the translated page shows the original text for the specific widget (I was able to translate everything else).

Go to the following page and scroll down to the section before the contact form:

hidden link (original)
hidden link (translated)

July 9, 2019 at 4:07 pm #4172937

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

1. Can you please let me know if "testimonial carousel" is a plugin that you are using? Practically my question is: does the testimonial carousel that you are using comes built-in with Elementor or you are using an extra plugin/or maybe a theme that comes with that functionality?

2. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 10, 2019 at 2:17 pm #4181319

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the credentials.

I can confirm that they worked.

Can you please do this first:

1. Create a full backup of the current site

2. Go here (hidden link) and update everything to the latest version

3. Now please see if the issue is still happening.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 10, 2019 at 4:12 pm #4182489

jamiL

Hey Mihai,

I updated wordpress core, the themes and all active plugins (including elementor pro) and I still don't see the testimonials in the translation editor.

July 10, 2019 at 4:44 pm #4182815

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Thank you for letting me know and for following the steps!

I will spend more time on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback.

I am leaving the ticket assigned to myself for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 11, 2019 at 4:06 pm #4191789

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for your patience.

I spent a bit more time on your site and from what I can see, the title from the testimonials is showing but not the testimonials themselves.

However, it seems that when I go here (hidden link) I still see a lot of plugin updates available.

Can you please make a full website backup and then update everything from that list?

Please let me know when that's done so that I can continue the debugging process.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 14, 2019 at 1:00 pm #4205583

jamiL

Hi Mihai,

The plugins are all deactivated so it should not impact the site. In any case, I updated them all.
This website is on a development server and it has regular backups so feel free to make changes to debug.

Cheers,
Jami

July 15, 2019 at 3:32 pm #4212865

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Jami.

Ok, thank you for the confirmation.

I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback regarding this situation.

I'm leaving the ticket assigned to myself.

Kind regards,
Mihai

July 16, 2019 at 2:43 pm #4221165

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

For the testimonials, it seems that there is a specific procedure that you need to follow.

Here is what I did that I can also confirm it works.

1. While being logged into the WordPress panel, I went to this link: hidden link
2. I clicked the "Edit with Elementor" button at the top
3. I scrolled down until I found the testimonials and then I clicked on the first one, updated the text adding "TEST EN" in front of it and then saved the page.

You can see the translation test here, in the first testimonial:
hidden link

Please let me know if that solved the issue for you.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 16, 2019 at 3:23 pm #4221731

jamiL

Hi Mihai,

I think what you sugested can be used as a workaround for my specific scenario, but it does not follow best practices. The reason I use WPML is that I can make changes to the original version and then manage the translations in one place (the translation manager).

This allows me to outsource the translations to other people. It also allows me to change the original page knowing my translations will be safe.

Just to prove my point, I went and changed the order of the testimonials in the french version of the page and saved it. I visited the english version of the page and the TEST EN text had dissapeared from the testimonial.

I will be using the procedure you sugested temporarily just so I can deliver the website, but I still think this should be looked into by your development team as it is not viable long term.

Thank you

July 16, 2019 at 4:40 pm #4222419

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I totally agree with you so I did some extra testing on a clean sandbox environment where I have only the WPML plugins + Elementor (free + PRO version - it seems that the free version comes with just the Testimonials widget while the PRO version comes with the Testimonials Carousel) + a default WordPress theme.

You can log into the sandbox just by clicking on the link below:
hidden link

From my tests, it seems that everything works as expected so my guess is that there might be at least one of the other plugins that you use that are causing the issue.

Here is the EN (default-language) testimonial carousel:
hidden link

Here is the IT (translated-version) testimonial carousel:
hidden link

After you log into the site, here you can find the WPML Classic Translation Editor page where you can translate the testimonials:
hidden link

I will also attach a screenshot of the Classic Translation Editor page.

Maybe you can try this on your site (create a new page in the default language where you simply add a testimonials carousel block and test the translation process only after you followed the steps below):

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

July 16, 2019 at 5:52 pm #4223071

jamiL

Hi Mihai,

After I wrote the last email the page translation needed updating so I went in the translation editor and lo-and-behold the testimonials were available for translation. I am thinking maybe since the pages were done before WPML was installed, that the whole content was not made available after I installed it.

After switching some settings in the page and updating it, the testimonials were then pushed to WPML to be translated.