This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.66 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: After the latest update I am getting an internal error when trying to activate WPML plugins.

Solution: Please try to to do a manual update by following these steps:

1. Ensure that you have a full backup for the site.

2. Log in to your WPML.org account and go to the Downloads section. Download the WPML components that you need. You will receive a ZIP file for each one of WPML’s components.

3. Deactivate the current WPML version that you are using. Be sure to deactivate WPML and all its components. Otherwise, the installation files may be locked and not writeable. Don’t worry, your translations are not going to be modified.

4. Delete the plugin, so that you can install the new version. Note: if you cannot delete from inside WordPress, use an FTP program to delete the folders of WPML and its components from wp-content/plugins.

5. In the WordPress admin, go to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload and upload the ZIP files that you downloaded. Alternatively, if you cannot upload plugins directly to WordPress, unzip each file. A directory will be created. Then upload the unzipped directories to your site’s ‘wp-contents/plugins’ directory and overwrite the existing folders for WPML and its components.

6. Log in to your site, go to Plugins and activate WPML core first and then its components.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by José 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 20, 2018 at 9:49 am #2751641

José

Hello,

After last updates I got this warning message from WPML

hidden link

I also have this:
AJAX Error: Internal Server Error [500]
URL:hidden link

However, I have no option to update string translation, it seems to be updated-.
Also, with WPML plugins activated and cant update any plugin now, I have to deactivate them first.

I have to update WPML and plugins on the production website (exactly the same configuration) but can´t risk having this problem there too. Need your help fixing the problem here and avoiding it when updating the production website.

Thanks

September 20, 2018 at 1:54 pm #2752369

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please try to to do a manual update by following these steps:

1. Ensure that you have a full backup for the site.

2. Log in to your WPML.org account and go to the Downloads section. Download the WPML components that you need. You will receive a ZIP file for each one of WPML’s components.

3. Deactivate the current WPML version that you are using. Be sure to deactivate WPML and all its components. Otherwise, the installation files may be locked and not writeable. Don’t worry, your translations are not going to be modified.

4. Delete the plugin, so that you can install the new version. Note: if you cannot delete from inside WordPress, use an FTP program to delete the folders of WPML and its components from wp-content/plugins.

5. In the WordPress admin, go to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload and upload the ZIP files that you downloaded. Alternatively, if you cannot upload plugins directly to WordPress, unzip each file. A directory will be created. Then upload the unzipped directories to your site’s ‘wp-contents/plugins’ directory and overwrite the existing folders for WPML and its components.

6. Log in to your site, go to Plugins and activate WPML core first and then its components.

After this, are you able to update the plugins?

September 22, 2018 at 4:35 pm #2757755

José

Hello,

That solves it, thanks.

But what happened, how can I avoid this issue from happening on the production website when I replicate updates there?

Also, my footer is broken hidden link

Thank you

September 24, 2018 at 2:31 pm #2760784

Lauren
Supporter

It's hard to say exactly what happened to cause this. If you were updating from a much older version, this could cause an issue. Or if there were conflicts with another plugin or theme, that could cause an issue. You should not continue having the issue for future updates.

For the broken footer, since the original issue is resolved may I kindly ask you please to open a new ticket for this question? This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum as well as we avoid mixing lots of questions in one ticket.

Thank you for your understanding.

September 28, 2018 at 8:34 am #2772923

José

I think it can Fix the footer in the widgets. But why does this happen? It happened me before on other sites too 🙁

Thanks

September 28, 2018 at 1:49 pm #2774104

Lauren
Supporter

Without knowing the steps leading up to the issues, it's hard to say how or why this happened. If updates were done to themes/plugins, this could explain it. If it is happening on multiple sites, are there any common denominators, such as changes that were made, theme updates, etc? It could be that you updated content in the original language and the string translations needed updating.

October 1, 2018 at 6:05 pm #2779128

José

ok, thanks

October 1, 2018 at 6:29 pm #2779185

José

Hello,

I have an issue with media translation and would like you help. However WPML is recommending me another person this time... is there a way to choose you?

Thanks

October 1, 2018 at 7:10 pm #2779244

Lauren
Supporter

When you open the new ticket, you can just mention that you would like it assigned to me, and I should end up getting it 🙂

October 2, 2018 at 11:07 am #2781196

José

Thank you