Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrey 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrey.

Author Posts
January 16, 2017 at 1:40 am #1182517

Catherine

I am trying to: update sitepress-multilingual

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: plugin working

Instead, I got: blank page with 500 error. Site not available anymore

Steps to duplicate the issue: try to upgrade with any version higher than 3.4.1 and you'll see the site going blank

Thanks! 🙂

January 16, 2017 at 2:08 am #1182519

Catherine

Actually, I realized that upgrading any of the wpml plugin was making the website go blank. 🙁

January 16, 2017 at 2:39 pm #1183076

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+02:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

A 500 error means that there is an error in the PHP code that your site runs. When errors are not caught, the server stops everything and returns page that says “500 error”. Different servers are configured to display these 500 errors slightly differently, but they all mean the same – there is an unhanded PHP error in the site’s code.

First, you need to see what the errors are. Guessing what might be the problem and trying different solutions may lead to even more trouble. If you are seeing 500 errors, your first step is to enable debug. You can do this by adding a few lines to the site’s wp-config.php file. With error log enabled, you will see what the actual problem is.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to: define('WP_DEBUG', true);

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Once you enable the debug mode, we'll able to see the errors behind the blank page.

Let me know how it goes.