Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
April 20, 2018 at 8:15 am

geoclimaS

Whenever I use String Translations and CMS Nav plugins my website got very slow both on the backend and on the frontend. If I disable only String translation, I got issues on internal links (e.g. issues on paginations or can't reach the translated version of a page).
Now I disabled both plugins and empty all the cashes and it seems to work, but I'm never sure because periodically I come to some issue.

April 23, 2018 at 6:26 am #1756768

geoclimaS

How long does it take to get support?

April 23, 2018 at 5:35 pm #1774439

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. I'm sorry you had to wait a while for a response - WPML customer support service operates 18 hours per day, Monday to Friday, which is why you didn't get a response over the weekend.

If you deactivate CMS Nav plugin, which pages are you having internal link issues on? Can you explain what exactly happens with the CMS Nav deactivated? It's likely that we can resolve those issues and not need CMS Nav to be active.

I also see you are using PHP 5.6. The more recent versions of PHP have increased performance quite a bit, so you may want to ask your hosting provider if that can be upgraded as well.

April 24, 2018 at 6:56 am #1780414

geoclimaS

CMS Nav doesn't seem to cause issues, but I can't still use the String Translations because it happens to slow down my back and frontend. I've just asked my provider support to change to PHP 7 because I got fatal errors.

April 24, 2018 at 12:52 pm #1789342

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 50 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

Also, when you can access your site, please go to WPML -> String Translation and towards the bottom of the page, you can select which text domains you want auto registered. Only select ones that you need to have registered. You can also go to WPML -> String Translation and delete any strings that you don't need to be translated.

Lastly, if you have translated everything you need translated, you can also remove untranslated strings from the database. I recommend making a full backup before running this step.

To delete untranslated strings:

- Make a full backup of your database.
- Open your database manager (you can use PHPMyAdmin, for example)
- Select your database
- Open the "_icl_strings" table and click on the "SQL" tab
- Run this command:

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;

* In the above command I'm using the database prefix "wp_". If you have changed this, you must edit the prefix for what you are using.

This will remove all strings that are not translated into the database and make the site get a bit faster. Note that it is important to follow the above steps only after you have backed up your database.

The topic ‘[Closed] Can't use String translations and CMS Nav plugins’ is closed to new replies.