This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Categories are mixed up with different languages Solution: Edit. The issue was with WPML settings. I did setup it so if there are no translations it will fallback to default language(under taxonomies translation). So as the categories are all with unique ID and are no translation to each other, then it showed EN language as well because it assumed the category has no translation.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 4:05 pm #4382179

martinM-71

Hi,

Using latest WPML on website hidden link

We have imported in over 30k products and 280 categories. Those are diveded into 4 languages. So about 8k products in each language and 280 categories. As we are using WPML and I'm stuck with no ideas, maybe some help will be provided here.
English website shows well. Now the issue comes in with other languages. If website's language changed to Finnish for example, the category on the left sidebar shows categories in both languages - Finnish and English. Categories are coming in all with unique ID, so those are not translated. Are there any options to block english categories showing up on Estonian/Finnish/Russian sites?

Its bit messy but hopefully understandable. The issue is in categories and I'm trying to figure options via WPML to solve it.

Appreciate any help and tips to solve it.

August 13, 2019 at 10:03 am #4386859

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

This is a bit complex question, because the cause of the problem may be coming from several sources, such as perhaps incompatible theme or a plugin.

There is one thing I would like to ask - what do you mean by this?

Categories are coming in all with unique ID, so those are not translated.

Does it mean the following:
- You have products that are translations of the original (or not?)
- you have categories that are not translations of one another, as they are assigned to these products?

Also, is the issue present in some sort of a WooCommerce widget maybe? I have an idea that may help us narrow this down:

One Click Login:
hidden link
Username:demo
Password:zG4r27U1UQgg

I have created a clean WooCommerce website, with only few products added and WPML. can you do the following here?

- run WPML wizard, set languages ( main and other languages) in the same way as on your website
- create 1-2 products in other languages in the same way it is on your site ( so translations are not, depending on how you did it)
- set up categories in the same way

Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 13, 2019 at 10:14 am #4386937

martinM-71

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Edit. The issue was with WPML settings. I did setup it so if there are no translations it will fallback to default language(under taxonomies translation). So as the categories are all with unique ID and are no translation to each other, then it showed EN language as well because it assumed the category has no translation. This was my own fault. WPML works just fine.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Much appreciated!

August 13, 2019 at 10:25 am #4386985

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I see - so it was about "Translatable - only show translated items" option. That also came to my mind first, but wasn't sure about it before having confirmation whether these were all individual products or translations.

Great to hear that you got this resolved!

Regards,
Bruno Kos