This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 9.40 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I encountered an error when trying to translate the meta title in a post category. The error I encountered was: "Category not updated". Solution: Change the slug of the translated category to be different than the original one and change the SEO title. After this, you can easily put back the same slug for the category.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alexanderA 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
April 20, 2019 at 7:24 am #3649665

alexanderA

Hello. A few years ago I encountered an error when trying to translate the meta title in a post category. The error I encountered was: "Category not updated" I asked WPML support about it in this ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cannot-translate-seo-title/ At the time, WPML support said they would work on it and implement a solution in an upcoming update. In February of this year, a WPML dev (Vincenzo) finally updated the ticket and said the newest version of WPML had resolved the issue. I just got around to testing it, and unfortunately I am experiencing the exact same issue.

April 22, 2019 at 8:46 am #3654627

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Alexander,

I had a look over your conversation with Vincenzo and I could see that you mentioned something about a workaround that you're using. As I can see, you're still using an old version of the WPML plugin (and for some of the add-ons too). Please follow these steps:

• update all the WPML plugins to the latest version
  • deactivate all the plugins that are not related to it (don't forget to leave Yoast SEO active too)
  • install the Yoast SEO Multilingual plugin on your website (you can find it here https://wpml.org/account/downloads/#yoast-seo-multilingual)

and tell me if you still have this issue.

Thanks,
Radu

April 22, 2019 at 9:00 am #3654723

alexanderA

Hi Radu,

Thanks for the reply. Here are my follow-ups:

>> I had a look over your conversation with Vincenzo and I could see that you mentioned something about a workaround that you're using.

Yes, at the time I had implemented a workaround. But unfortunately I did not note the workaround, so I don't know what I did. Plus, Vincenzo clearly stated that the issue was fixed, so I am no longer interested in a workaround--I would like a working solution.

>> update all the WPML plugins to the latest version

I just tried that, but I am experiencing the same error.

>> deactivate all the plugins that are not related to it (don't forget to leave Yoast SEO active too)

I just tried that, and the issue remained.

>> install the Yoast SEO Multilingual plugin on your website (you can find it here https://wpml.org/account/downloads/#yoast-seo-multilingual)

Is this necessary? In the previous thread, Vincenzo did not mention this plugin was necessary. If possible, I would like to resolve this issue without the need for additional plugins.

Thanks.

April 23, 2019 at 10:10 am #3661725

Radu
Supporter

Hey Alexander,

The Yoast SEO Multilingual is made to create the connection between WPML and Yoast SEO and make sure that these two work very well together. This is why you need to install it.

If you still have a problem with the categories once you installed this add-on plugin, just give me access to the dashboard area of your website and I'll have a closer look. I set the next message to be private so just you and I can see the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

April 23, 2019 at 11:24 am #3662839

alexanderA

I'm a bit apprehensive about installing the plugin you're suggesting. My site is fairly large, and a bit complex. To be honest, I'm afraid installing your plugin will mess up several things already in-place. Before I jump into the plugin, am I perhaps able to speak with Vincenzo about our previous ticket? He specifically told me the issue was fixed in a previous WPML update, and didn't mention anything about a separate plugin being required. So I'd just like to confirm that with him, and get more information.

Thanks.

April 24, 2019 at 10:48 am #3671757

Radu
Supporter

Hey Alexander,

Vincenzo is out of the office these days but I followed the whole thread from the original ticket and I could see which was the original problem. Just to make sure that we're talking about the same element, can you tell me if you're looking to change the SEO title for your categories, please? There's a simple reason I'm asking for this: the problem that was fixed in WPML 4.2.0 (and probably the one that Vincenzo said that's fixed) is the one where you couldn't use the same slug for your category in different languages (you can see the changelog here https://wpml.org/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog). However, when you're trying to edit the title, there might still be a problem. I just wanted to make sure that this is the change you're trying to do so I can make sure that we are both on the same subject.

Thanks,
Radu

April 24, 2019 at 11:16 am #3671975

alexanderA

>> can you tell me if you're looking to change the SEO title for your categories, please?

Yes, I can confirm that (see attached screenshot).

>> the problem that was fixed in WPML 4.2.0 (and probably the one that Vincenzo said that's fixed) is the one where you couldn't use the same slug for your category in different languages

Now that you mention that, I *think* my previous workaround might have been to temporarily re-name the slug of the category in-question, change the SEO title, then re-name the slug *back* to its original name. Might that be a/the workaround?

April 24, 2019 at 12:24 pm #3672677

Radu
Supporter

Hey Alexander,

Yes, I guess that this was the workaround. Actually, I checked this out before sending you my previous message and everything works fine this way but I wanted to make sure that we both talk about the same thing. Can you try this out again and see how it works, please?

Thanks,
Radu

April 25, 2019 at 9:47 am #3680705

alexanderA

OK great, that worked. That's for being patient. We can consider this resolved.