This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
March 20, 2018 at 1:40 pm

ryanN-12

I am trying to:

I am trying to activate WPML and use it for a WooCommerce integration.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link
(currently working fine because I deactivated WPML)

I expected to see:

I expected to see the page displayed exactly as it is displayed above.

Instead, I got:

When I activate the plugin, the product category page breaks. I get a white screen of death but no errors in the error log. It just stops rendering all code immediately after the title. What is interesting, is it only happens on this page. Other categories are still displayed. Unfortunately, the page that is breaking is one of the most important pages...

I have provided login credentials below so you can login and activate the plugin and see the resulting error and check for configuration issues. I have debugging turned on for logging but not for display (live site).

All of the plugins installed are currently necessary and cannot be uninstalled. They can be temporarily disabled to check for a conflict, however, they must return to being installed and active and WPML inactive if there is no simple solution.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Ryan Newcom

March 21, 2018 at 7:51 pm #1552932

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I would need a sites snapshot if possible.
We usually recommend the free Plugin “Duplicator” for this porpoise.

If you already know how Duplicator works
(http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/),
please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

★ Duplicator Instructions: hidden link

Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big)

❌ IMPORTANT ❌
Remember to create or keep an admin account for me before creating the snapshot, or I won’t be able to login. You may delete the new admin account once the snapshot has been built.

I will enable your next answer as private so you can provide me the information securely.

Kind regards,
Carlos

March 21, 2018 at 10:38 pm
March 22, 2018 at 12:26 pm #1553755

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

I understand your concern.

In this case I would like to ask you to create a test environment and follow this steps:
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Note: The theme active in the site is not in our compatibility list, which means our compatibility team hasn't validate it yet. You can double check in the following link: https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility

Looking forward to your answer.
Kind regards,
Carlos

March 29, 2018 at 3:27 am #1559646

ryanN-12

I setup a duplicate of the site on the server. I have deactivated all plugins other than WooCommerce and WPML. I have activated the 2017 theme. The category page still throws an error.

Recoverable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /wp-includes/http.php on line 659

hidden link

It throws the error when I activate "WPML Multilingual CMS"

Here is a copy of the WooCommerce status report.

`
### WordPress Environment ###

Home URL: hidden link
Site URL: hidden link
WC Version: 3.3.4
Log Directory Writable: ✔
WP Version: 4.9.4
WP Multisite: –
WP Memory Limit: 256 MB
WP Debug Mode: –
WP Cron: ✔
Language: en_US

### Server Environment ###

Server Info: Apache/2.4.28 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1f
PHP Version: 7.1.15
PHP Post Max Size: 1 GB
PHP Time Limit: 180
PHP Max Input Vars: 5000
cURL Version: 7.35.0
OpenSSL/1.0.1f

### Active Plugins (8) ###

WPML Multilingual CMS: by OnTheGoSystems – 3.9.3
WooCommerce Multilingual: by OnTheGoSystems – 4.2.9
WooCommerce: by Automattic – 3.3.4
WPML Media: by OnTheGoSystems – 2.2.3
WPML String Translation: by OnTheGoSystems – 2.7.3
WPML Translation Management: by OnTheGoSystems – 2.5.2

### Settings ###

API Enabled: ✔
Force SSL: ✔
Currency: USD ($)
Currency Position: left
Thousand Separator: ,
Decimal Separator: .
Number of Decimals: 2
Taxonomies: Product Types: composite (composite)
external (external)
grouped (grouped)
simple (simple)
variable (variable)

Taxonomies: Product Visibility: exclude-from-catalog (exclude-from-catalog)
exclude-from-search (exclude-from-search)
featured (featured)
outofstock (outofstock)
rated-1 (rated-1)
rated-2 (rated-2)
rated-3 (rated-3)
rated-4 (rated-4)
rated-5 (rated-5)

### WC Pages ###

Shop base: #2719 - /catalog/
Cart: #2706 - /cart/
Checkout: #2709 - /checkout/
My account: ❌ Page does not contain the shortcode.
Terms and conditions: ❌ Page not set

### Theme ###

Name: Twenty Seventeen
Version: 1.4
Author URL: https://wordpress.org/
Child Theme: ❌ – If you are modifying WooCommerce on a parent theme that you did not build personally we recommend using a child theme. See: How to create a child theme
WooCommerce Support: ✔

### Templates ###

Overrides: –

March 29, 2018 at 6:58 pm #1560456

ryanN-12

The account login credentials that I provided earlier should work on this site.

March 29, 2018 at 8:58 pm #1560548

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

I made some changes in the test site and the issue seems to be fixed. Could you confirm the issue disappeared?

This are the steps I followed:
- WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting link -> Click on the buttons from 'Clear the cache in WPML' to 'Recreate ST DB cache tables'
- Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Translated (in this case I duplicated the content for testing purposes) some Categories, Tags and Attributes in their correspondent tabs.
- Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Store URLs -> Translated 'Product base' from 'products' to 'productos'.
- Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Syn all the products.

Kind regards,
Carlos

May 1, 2018 at 3:11 am #1907824

ryanN-12

So, I thought that the problem was solved and it is for that original category. However, now that we have created a new category the problem has reappeared and the process does not solve the problem. You can see the page here:
hidden link

The page breaks right after the title attribute. If I disable WPML, the problem goes away.

Not sure what to do, why it is breaking, or why the above process doesn't work.

May 1, 2018 at 5:48 pm #1916261

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

Please translate the category and let me know if the issue is solved.

I also recommend you to go to Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Status tab -> Solve all the issue showed there.

Kind regards,
Carlos

May 3, 2018 at 3:48 pm #1962350

ryanN-12

When I add the translation the page loads. Is it not possible to create a new category that is in English only and not add a page translation? I wouldn't have expected that to whitescreen the page.

May 4, 2018 at 1:29 am #1967684

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

Yes, you can create a category without a translation. I just checked your site and if you create a category without a translation the category page in the secondary language should show the products instead of getting a white screen.

You can double check this setting in WPML -> Translation Management -> Multilingual Content Setup -> Taxonomy Translation -> Product categories (product_cat) is set to 'Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language'.

In case you keep getting a white screen in the secondary language for untranslated category pages I kindly ask you to check if there is some kind of cache memory that might be causing this issue.

Kind regards,
Carlos

May 14, 2018 at 2:41 pm #2122946

ryanN-12

I changed the settings as you suggested, however, the issue isn't the translation showing a white screen, it is the original product category is showing a white screen until a translation is created for it.

To put it another way. When creating a new product category, the new product category will display a white-screen until a translation page is created.

Also, if the product category translation is deleted, the original product category is no longer visible. It goes back to being a while-screen.

May 14, 2018 at 4:26 pm #2124504

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your feedback.

I still suspect this issue might be related to a theme compatibility issue or maybe there is an interaction issue with a third party plugin. I would like to ask you to double check if in a minimal setup the issue persists (same steps I asked you before).

In case the issue persists then I would like to ask you to delete all product categories and create them again, maybe the issue was in the way this information got saved in the database. Does the issue persists?

Note: there is no need to create all of the product categories again in the test site, just one or two will do the job.

Regards,
Carlos

May 18, 2018 at 9:23 am #2188649

ryanN-12

Here is a minimum install of WPML and WooCommerce using the products and categories of the original store.

hidden link

This is such a minimum install that it isn't even sufficient to run the live website. I have even disabled necessary extensions to WooCommerce for our store to function properly.

When I create a new product category, I get a fatal error (same as the live website). On the testing site, I get this fatal error message.

"Recoverable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /DIRECTORY_LOCATION_REMOVED/wp-includes/http.php on line 659"

If I deactivate WPML, the problem goes away. I have double checked the settings to make sure that fallback is enabled and there are no active caching plugins.

May 18, 2018 at 4:48 pm #2190737

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Ryan,

I just created a product category in English and translated to Spanish (Test Category / Categoría de prueba). I also created a test product in English and translated to Spanish.

So far I haven't get any error and the category is displayed correctly. You can double check it here: hidden link

Could you check the site again and let me know if the issue persists?

Note: There are categories, tags and attributes without translation, you can double check them in Woocommerce -> Woocommerce Multilingual -> Status tab. I recommend you to translate all untranslated elements.

Regards,
Carlos