This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 12, 2018 at 4:40 am #2095709

zesenH

I have a site with default language as Chinese and secondary language as English.

1 - I imported 13,000 posts into it spread across 16 categories.

2 - I successfully used WPML to translate all 16 categories.

3 - I mark posts 'Appear as Translated', since these posts do not have too much language specific content, only some metadata, which is acceptable in all languages so I didn't bother creating another 13,000 English posts holding the same content.

4 - I added a Category Widget in the sidebar.

Now, if I stay in the Chinese site, the widget works as expected:

[see 1.png]

However, if I switch to English, it shows 'No Categories':

[see 2.png]

I went back to Dashboard and took a look at the categories page and I noticed that all English-categories have 0 post:

[see 3.png] <--- categories in original language
[see 4.png] <--- categories in English

I then tried to manually add an English translation to one of the 13,000 posts, hit Publish. I then see the category of this post showing up in the sidebar widget in my English site.

[see 5.png]

The site is currently in localhost so can't grant admin access. However, I believe this could be easily replicated:

1. Install WP and WPML
2. Set primary and secondary language
3. Create a new category
4. Create a new post and assign it to the category
5. Make Posts Appear as Translated, hit Publish
6. Drag a Category Widget in any widget area
7. Go to the page that contains the widget area, try to switch between 2 languages

Thanks a lot!

May 14, 2018 at 2:33 pm #2122431

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Thanks for reporting this issue.

This issue is known to our developers. A fix for it will be included in a future version of WPML.
I'll inform you here when it will be available.

I read in our internal documentation that if the categories are not translated then, the Category Widget will show the default language categories. So if this is a good solution for you, you can remove the translation from your 16 categories and have the widget show the Chinese categories.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Category Widget malfunctions when setting 'Make Posts Appear as Translated'’ is closed to new replies.