This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Change a string (before translation) in Traveler theme

Solution: Traveler theme is not compatible with multilingual and it has some serious issues with multilingual that should be fixed by the theme developers.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gloria-veronicaA 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
April 7, 2020 at 9:49 pm #5861113

gloria-veronicaA

Hello! I would like to change the original string “Where are you going” (see the attached file). I want the original string to be instead "Where you are leaving from" (in Italian “Da dove vuoi partire”).

My website works by departure as the place to choose from, while the theme is based on the destination for the choice. Thank you for youw help.

April 8, 2020 at 6:23 am #5862795

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

WPML helps you translated your default strings to a secondary language. If you wish to edit the main language you are technically changing the original hardcoded strings which should be done within the code and that is why WPML does not offer this function as of now.

But we can try this workaround:
1) Go to WPML > Languages > Add new language and add a random language.
2) Scroll Down and hide the new language.
3) Go to String Translator and find the string you want to edit the default string.
4) Select it and click on "change selected strings language" and change the language to the new "dummy" language we just added.
5) Now you should be able to see the option to "translate" it in the original language.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Riffaz.

April 8, 2020 at 6:31 pm #5869105

gloria-veronicaA

I did not work

April 9, 2020 at 8:27 am #5873225

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

Let me know your site login details to check this closely.

Regards,

April 11, 2020 at 6:05 pm #5889709

gloria-veronicaA

Hello! Can you fix it for me? Thanks

April 11, 2020 at 6:40 pm #5889821

gloria-veronicaA

Actually, I noted that the string I translated was in the default domain and not the domain "Traveler". I have the same problem for the translation of the string "When". How can I add them to the domain "Traveler" in order to translate them?
Btw, both strings "SEARCH" and "Guests" were in the "Traveler" domain.
Thank you for your help!

April 13, 2020 at 6:20 am #5894465

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the login details.

This theme is not compatible with WPML:https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/
It is not coded translation friendly.
Many users who use this theme has issues with translations. ex: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/hello-i-need-help-with-wp-traveler-theme-translation-search-tab-in-theme/
Please check this with your theme support and please ask the theme author to contact us via : https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

If you do not get the response from them could you please create a fresh test for this? and the search form only there and let us know how to check that.
If you can't create the test site let us know.

Regards,

April 13, 2020 at 11:09 pm #5899219

gloria-veronicaA

One simple question, please:
I have found many strings to translate that are in the default instead of being in traveler (see the attached photo). Therefore, once the string is translated does not appear on the theme. How can I move that string from default to traveler? Thanks.

April 14, 2020 at 12:43 pm #5904243

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

I have found many strings to translate that are in the default instead of being in traveler (see the attached photo). Therefore, once the string is translated does not appear on the theme. How can I move that string from default to traveler?
- this is not the reason to not showing the translated strings in the front end.
- and, wpml can not change the domain of a string from one to another
- if a string comes from domain and if you translated it in WPML > String Translation this should work regardless the domain name.
- text domain name is just for understand where it comes from the string but the Traveler theme uses the text domain "default" it's fine. it should work as long as you translate it.

do you have a staging site?

Regards,

April 14, 2020 at 2:34 pm #5905383

gloria-veronicaA

Maybe you cannot help me with it. However, the traveler theme uses both default and traveler. Thanks

April 15, 2020 at 1:00 pm #5913667

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

We can help with anything related to or controllable by WPML.
If the issue mentioned in this ticket is ok now, please close this ticket and do not hesitate to open new ticket if you have more questions.

Regards,

April 15, 2020 at 3:05 pm #5915125

gloria-veronicaA

Thank you