Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by arnoldS-2 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
December 8, 2019 at 5:05 am #5088213

arnoldS-2

Is it possible to set a different default language per WordPress page. If not can you suggest a hack.

Thank you

December 8, 2019 at 5:12 am #5088219

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Do you mean you want to show some pages in a specific language only and do not want to show that in the other language?
Could you please show an example if you have any reference site for this?

Regards,
Riffaz.

December 8, 2019 at 7:47 am #5088549

arnoldS-2

So I will talk out loud now and explain what I want and how I understand this to be achieved. I also look for your advice.

The goal is to have the simplest URL where ever psossible and not us /he /en in the URL unless absolutely necessary.

The following relates to creating electronic business cards which are essentially one page landing pages only. - Not a complete website. These pages are to be built using Elementor with the least WordPress installations as possible.

I would like to publish some landing pages in English only.
Also some landing pages in Hebrew only.
Also some landing pages in Hebrew with English Translation and some in Hebrew landing pages with English Translation.

The URL will look like this for landing pages in English only; hidden link

The URL will look like this for landing pages in Hebrew only; hidden link - In this case I could have a wordpress installation with English as the default language and enter the page with Hebrew content instead of English. Does it really matter? I am not going to translate this page. Correct?

The URL will look like this for landing pages in Hebrew with English Translation; hidden link and hidden link
Now what about the English Translation? I think in this case I need to have a separate WordPress Installation for landing pages with Hebrew as a default language with needs to be translated. I could then use the following URL; he.myecard.co/Hebrew-page and for the English translation create a manual link and point the transalation to the original English default WordPress Installation.

That being the case leads me to believe I could create a page in any language with the English default language WordPress installation and change the URL slightly and manually point each to each page using buttons with flags. In this case WPML would not even be necessary.

So I could have say for English, Hebrew, Spanish and French use the following links;

When the default language is English the URL's will work like this;
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
I could create parent pages for each language to achieve the above.

When the default language is Hebrew the URL's will work like this;
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

When the default language is Spanish the URL's will work like this;
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Thank you for your patience. I have come to the conclusion WPML will not be relevant for what I want to achieve; however I need to confirm this with your support.

December 8, 2019 at 2:00 pm #5088861

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

The goal is to have the simplest URL where ever psossible and not us /he /en in the URL unless absolutely necessary.
- this is impossible with WPML, unfortunately.
- you must choose one URL format: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language-url-format
- because everything is built based on the language URL format

The URL will look like this for landing pages in Hebrew only; hidden link - In this case I could have a wordpress installation with English as the default language and enter the page with Hebrew content instead of English. Does it really matter? I am not going to translate this page. Correct?
- yes, but it's not compulsory to translate if you do not want to translate a page.
- you can redirect the users to the homepage if you do not translate a page
- you can simply hide the language switcher in a page if you do not translate it.
- this will explain the possibilities for the rest.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,
Riffaz.

December 11, 2019 at 4:57 am #5103927

arnoldS-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!