This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 12:09 pm #4189593

michelH-3

We have a multilingual WP site (EN, NL, IT, ES, DE). We are not clear what to do.

We also create a custom way to make office location specific content. For example ../uae/ takes care of all countries in the middle east. But all pages are in English. Also for the UAE.

our risknowlogy.com has en-us
our risknowlogy.com/uae also has en-us
our risknowlogy.com/ind also has en-us (this is India)

The content which is on .com is specific to .com only
The content which is on .com/REGION specific to that region.

Is it better to change the country specific hreflang to a language specific hreflang?

If yes, is all we have to do change in the language settings en-us to en?

And if we do that, nothing else is required? IN other words all pages will automatically updated from en-us to en or do we need to rerun something or clear cache or anything else?

July 11, 2019 at 1:40 pm #4190327

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Michel,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

As I understand, you'd like to move from a region structure to a language-region structure. If you want you can do something like this:
risknowlogy.com - English
risknowlogy.com - Italian
risknowlogy.com/en-uae - English
risknowlogy.com/it-uae - Italian
risknowlogy.com/en-ind - English
risknowlogy.com/it-ind - Italian

Can you tell me if this is what you'd like to do, please? I just want to make sure that I understand what you're looking for so I can tell you for sure whether this can be done or not (and how to do it, if possible).

Thanks,
Radu

July 12, 2019 at 6:02 am #4195381

michelH-3

Hi Radu,

Yes, this is what want. To be more specific we have currently these URLs:

r.com - Should be in English for anybody speaking English
r.com/uae - Should be in English for UAE (Middle East)
r.com/ind - Should be in English for India
r.com/it/ - forwarded to it/ita
r.com/it/ita - should be Italian for Italy
r.com/nl/ - forwarded to /nl/nld
r.com/nl/nld - should be Dutch for Netherlands
r.com/es/ - should be Spanish for any spanish speaking country
r.com/es/arg - should be Spanish for Argentina (not used today)
r.com/es/ury - should be Spanish for Uruguay (not used today)
r.com/de - for Germany, Switzerland, Austria

But not setup correclty with hreflang. Evetything is en-us, nl-nl, it-it, etc

July 12, 2019 at 10:09 am #4197401

Radu
Supporter

Hey Michel,

I see what you'd like to do. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you won't be able to use this structure of r.com/language/region. If you want, you can use a dash between the language and region, like this r.com/language-region.
You can try this out by going to Dashboard -> WPML -> Languages -> Site Languages -> Edit languages. Here, you can add new languages using the Add Language button from the bottom right corner. You can give this a try by creating a test website and adding new languages like I did in the screenshot I attached. Just give this a try and tell me how it works.

Thanks,
Radu

July 15, 2019 at 6:56 am #4207565

michelH-3

Thank you Radu.

Wordpress has its limits apparently in this way. We gave our office the opportunity to have their local website by adding for the same language the "ind" and "nld" and "ita" etc.

So I think we have two options at the moment.
1 - Either change all languages to language only, no location attached. So only use en, es, de, it, and nl.
2 - Or to change our structure.

Option 2 requires much more time. For us to do option 1, we only need to change the settings from en-us to en, etc. is that correct?

if we do that, will all pages, posts etc automatically update the hreflang, or do we need to do an extra step?

July 16, 2019 at 6:39 am #4216633

Radu
Supporter

Hey Michel,

I had a look at your website here hidden link and I could see that you already have English, Spanish, Deutsch, Itaian, and Nederlands languages. Can you tell me what would you like to change now or have different, please? What's the place where you want to change from en-US to en? I just want to understand what would you like to do so I can point you to the right solution.

Thanks,
Radu

July 16, 2019 at 7:47 am #4217235

michelH-3

We have 500+ errors concerning hreflang SEO. Before we fix those we need to make a decision on which hreflangs to use.

Currently we have nl-nl, en-us, de-De, it-IT, es-ES.

But we also have that structure that I described to you above:
r.com with hreflang en-us
r.com/uae for the dubai office with hreflang en-us
etc

In other words we use for all locations, for examle the English ones, the same hreflang en-us.

So the question is do we do this:
r.com with hreflang en-us
r.com/uae for the dubai office with hreflang en-us

or do we do this
r.com with hreflang en
r.com/uae for the dubai office with hreflang en

or do we do this
r.com with hreflang en
r.com/en-ae/ for the dubai office with hreflang en-ae (and does this mean we have to setup even more languages WMPL. That is, english for main site (en) and english for dubai site (en-ae) and english for India site (en-in) etc.

July 17, 2019 at 12:44 pm #4230129

Radu
Supporter

Hey Michel,

I think that you can use the third (last) option. Please check this article https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags so you can see that the hreflang can be created by combining the language code and the region code. In that article you can find a list of all the elements you can combine in order to create the hreflangs you're looking for. Basically, the third option that you mentioned is the one explained on the article I attached.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Change hreflang from country specific to language only’ is closed to new replies.