Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by olafM-4 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
December 6, 2019 at 11:06 pm #5086215

olafM-4

Tell us what you are trying to do? Change Language URL format from language as a parameter to languages in their own directory. SEO gurus say we should not use the language switch attached to the URL. Google created a page for it to explain it as well. support(dot)google(dot)com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en Funny enough, the link by google has the language also in the URL as a parameter.

Is there any documentation that you are following? There are some resolved tickets with this topic or similar, but the solutions are not visible.

The radio buttons to make the change are in the permalink settings of WordPress. But what we are afraid of is the 900 URL redirects that follow. Does WPML take care of it? Any suggestion? Can you dig out the solution from previous tickets? Are they still valid for todays WPML versions?

What is the link to your site?

December 7, 2019 at 12:16 am #5086281

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi There,

Please review the following information:

Usually, when you change the Language URL format, WPML will take care of all the internal links on the website.

Google is going to use your site's sitemap.xml to determine the indexing.

I tested Yoast SEO and the URL of the secondary pages are correctly rendered in the sitemap when the "Language name added as a parameter" option is switched to "Directories"

For example, review my screenshots. One shows the sitemap.xml for the pages while using the parameter URL and the other shows the rendered sitemap.xml after switching to "directories".

I personally did not do anything manually to ensure this change with Yoast in the sitemap.

December 7, 2019 at 4:23 pm #5087713

olafM-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you! You helped us a lot and even provided proof that your initial solution was correct.

December 9, 2019 at 2:38 pm #5093579

olafM-4

Please inform the developers to improve the "setup WPML" page in WordPress. Specifically the Language URL format section. It should be indicated that the third option is not recommended (because Google has issues with it). The best solution is the first radio button option: Different languages in directories.
We made the change today. Now we have quite a few manual changes to make. We had to change all existing redirects and customized functions in the function.php as well as buttons that have manual links. This could have been avoided if we knew better when we started.
Life remains interesting.