Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
June 22, 2021 at 8:12 am #9044247

andreaB-8

Hi! My site now is on brawo.it and when I need English version I do brawo.com with redirect on brawo.it/en.... I need to invert the logic and I'm worried about waste all.
What I need now
Main site on brawo.com (showed in English).... when user needs to see Italian will do brawo.it and we'll redirect to brawo.com/en

Can you help me in this change?

June 22, 2021 at 11:56 am #9046245

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

With two different domain it will be good to have separate domains for each language instead of redirecting .com to .com/en, Also it is not possible to redirect brawo.it to brawo.com/en which requires the of use language directory url format with different domains per language url setting which is not an option with WPML.

I would suggest to use the WPML different domains per language url settings and set brawo.it for Italian and brawo.com for English. Please check our detailed documentation about the DNS settings and how to enable different directory per language settings https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/how-to-use-wpml-with-different-domains-per-language/

I hope this helps.

Regards
Raja

June 22, 2021 at 1:46 pm #9047245

andreaB-8

What are you writing??? Have you read what I wrote???
Now I've brawo.it that shows Italian version and when I open brawo.com I see brawo.it/en
OK??
I need the same opposite
I need that with brawo.com open English site and with brawo.it open brawo/it

If I can do now!!!! I need the same but invert domains and languages.

Thanks!

June 23, 2021 at 2:19 pm #9055907

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I hope below is what is requested
1) English should open in brawo.com
2) Italian should open in brawo.com/it

Correct me if I am wrong, The redirecting part is handled are server level which you might be already aware of.

To achieve this you might need to adjust the following
Secure a backup of your site before you proceed
0) Remove the Existing redirection from brawo.com
1) Change the primary domain of the site from brawo.it to brawo.com
2) Change the Site default language from Italian to English So that when users hit brawo.com it loads the English content. The site default language can be changed from WPML > Languages >Site languages
3) Make sure to use the Directory per language url setting selected in Language url options in "WPML > Languages"
4) After all the setup is done make sure brawo.com/it loads the Italian content, Finally add a redirect rule for the domain brawo.it which should be redirected to brawo.com/it

Please note all the steps related to redirect is not handled by WPML it should be either handled by code or at the server level or similar to the existing redirect.

I hope I made the steps clear, Let me know if anything is unclear.

Regards
Raja

June 23, 2021 at 3:27 pm #9056349

andreaB-8

--
I hope below is what is requested
1) English should open in brawo.com
2) Italian should open in brawo.com/it
--
yes about 2 on brawo.it open brawo.com/it

--
0) Remove the Existing redirection from brawo.com
1) Change the primary domain of the site from brawo.it to brawo.com
2) Change the Site default language from Italian to English So that when users hit brawo.com it loads the English content. The site default language can be changed from WPML > Languages >Site languages
3) Make sure to use the Directory per language url setting selected in Language url options in "WPML > Languages"
4) After all the setup is done make sure brawo.com/it loads the Italian content, Finally add a redirect rule for the domain brawo.it which should be redirected to brawo.com/it

Please note all the steps related to redirect is not handled by WPML it should be either handled by code or at the server level or similar to the existing redirect.

--

can you do for me? These changes was made by Alejandro before.

June 24, 2021 at 4:57 am #9058903

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Changing the domains and adding redirection requires server access this is not something that we could do from our end, also it is not something related to WPML except changing the default language in step 2 which can be handed from the dashboard, I would request you to check with your hosting provider for the domain related queries.

June 24, 2021 at 7:45 am #9059515

andreaB-8

--
Changing the domains and adding redirection requires server access this is not something that we could do from our end, also it is not something related to WPML except changing the default language in step 2 which can be handed from the dashboard, I would request you to check with your hosting provider for the domain related queries.
--

Please read me and follow me

Yes change server domian is not issue.
But what to do for don't loose URL and languages?
Now main language is Italian, showed with brawo.it
I can link site to brawo.com domain but main language will be again Italian, I need English as first language and change /it for see Italian.... BEFORE I need this change.... after I'll update domain

June 24, 2021 at 7:57 am #9059613

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I have mentioned in my previous reply the site default language can be changed from WPML > Langauge > Site language. Please check step 2

I have attached a screenshot for more clarity.

Since changing the default language for a site which already has translation might have some drawback, We highly recommend performing the operation after securing a backup of the site.

You can very well change the site default language right now and fix the domains later, but make sure it is done after securing a backup.

Regards
Raja

change_default_language.png

The topic ‘[Closed] Change main domain’ is closed to new replies.