This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.78 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Author Posts
April 10, 2020 at 7:59 am #5881851

davideG-20

Tell us what you are trying to do?

We have implemented the multilingual system on our website.
We have recently been asked to change the primary language4 from Italian to English.
The problem occurs when trying to create a translation of a page created before the language transition.
In the 3 attached images you can see what the screen with the pages to be translated looks like, when you click the pencil in the German language column you can view the correct translation page (image 2) while if you click the pencil under the Italian language the language of the website is changed to Italian and the page is displayed as if it were the primary language (image 3).
Would it be possible to set the English language as primary and prevent this problem from occurring when translating into Italian?
I hope I have explained myself sufficiently.
Should you require further information, we remain at your disposal.

April 13, 2020 at 10:08 am #5895537

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

As far as I understand, you have older pages that were created in Italian.
That was your previous default language and now you changed the language.

In WPML, in order to link translations properly, we always have a default language for every page or post.
You can create a page in any of your languages that are enabled on your site - and that is the default language for that post (we call it original or source language).
That source language then is being used to translate from to all the other languages in your site.
What you describe is normal and expected, as your page is created in Italian, so instead of opening the translation editor, you are presented with the normal editor.

The topic ‘[Closed] change primary language’ is closed to new replies.