This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 20, 2019 at 6:13 pm #4062191

reneD-20

Dear WPML team,

1) I installed WPML in the German language.
2) My setup only includes languages in German
AT - Austria
CH - Switzerland
DE - Germany
3) I created duplicates for Austrian - German and Switzerland - German.
4) Due to the fact I had to install in Germany - German the standard language inside the pages (inside right sidebar) is Germany - German not Austrian - German, but I want the page to administrated in Austrian - German.

TODO
1) I have to change the the standard translation into Austrian - German, because the automatically created cannonical tags should point to the Austrian - German sites. Is there a bulk option to change the standard language in this case?

2) I also want the menu to inherit from Austrian - German not Germany - German.

Thank you very much in advance,

Cool product by the way 😉

Best regards,

Rene

June 21, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4067775

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Rene,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I think I understand what you are trying to achieve here :). When it comes to page duplicates - will you be changing this content (like translating them independently), or will they always be the same on all the languages?

Because if that's the case, then there is no need for you to create duplicates, but rather use this option:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

I think that it would be a "bulk" thing - however, if you created duplicates, then we have this scenario:
- we have original page from which duplicate was created
- we have a duplicate which has the same canonical link as its original
- this canonical link will update only if you decide to translate the page independently
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/#convert-between-translation-and-duplicate

Therefore, it should be expected that if you change the default language and use the option I pointed out in the first link, these canonical links should work properly. However, on already made duplicates, it would not work and I am not aware of any bulk option that would allow you this.

As for the menus question, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. But if your question is if you can change the menu language while retaining the menu items, I'm afraid that that would not work - if you change the menu language, it would mean that the pages assigned to one language will not work because these are translations of another language.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 22, 2019 at 2:28 pm #4071213

reneD-20

Thanks for the great answer. I deleted the other languages and used the option without duplicates. It's the better way and the database stays smaller I guess.

I changes every post manually, now all my posts and pages are Austrain - German and the canonical tags work.

I also changed the menu language of all menus to Austrian - German
hidden link

At the Germany - German site the quickmenu at the bottom of the page doesn't work:
hidden link (the main menu is the quicklink menu there)
I if would use menu sync it would duplicate the menus and it would work. But then I have 3 Quicklink menus and I have to add all the links manually. I wouldn't hurt much, but is there an other solution too?

Best,

Rene

June 24, 2019 at 8:15 am #4075345

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

But then I have 3 Quicklink menus and I have to add all the links manually. I wouldn't hurt much, but is there an other solution too?

Perhaps something in those lines?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/manually-assign-an-existing-menu-as-a-translation/#post-4074939

I'm not sure why menu synchronization will not work in your case, though - perhaps because of custom links, is this where your concern lies? These should be available through string translation.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 25, 2019 at 6:05 am #4081515

reneD-20

No there are no custom links in the menu.
I even tried to create a new menu from scratch. Same problem there.

I can't even create a menu with the same name in Germany - German, it gets lost in the void ( nothing seems to happend)
If I create a different name, like quicklinks2 and choose as translation Language from Austria - German no pages are shown in the frontend and in the backend i can't choose any pages.

I think I used WPML menu synchronization previously and deleted the items then. But it did basically copy everything in different languages.

So for now there seems only be one way: to duplicate every page and the 3 Quicklink menus.
Can you have a look at it? What is your recommandation?

Best,

Rene

June 26, 2019 at 5:18 am #4089105

Riffaz
Supporter

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Bruno was off yesterday.
That's why he could not get back to you yesterday.
If you want I can check this now but as this has many tests and suggestions by Bruno, it's better be waiting for him.
He will be back today evening.

Is that ok for you?

Regards,
Riffaz.

June 27, 2019 at 7:42 am #4097387

reneD-20

Hi,

haha thanks for the reply. I guess it has to be ok.
Just don't forget me 😉

Best,

Rene

June 27, 2019 at 9:12 am #4098267

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi Rene,

I'm not quite sure I still understand the thing with menus. Does it answer your question if I tell you that if you use a fallback, but you don't create menu translations, the original language menu will always fallback to those pages (See images)?

But if you create a new menu in the language for which there are no translations, menu synchronization will not work because these pages don't exist in fact, so menus have nowhere to pull this data from.

However, see this scenario ( see images) - depending on the number of menu items, you could create custom links as I think that you mentioned before and do this on translated menus.

Regards,
Bruno Kos