Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Noman 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Noman.

Author Posts
April 21, 2018 at 6:19 am #1735727

vincentH-16

Hello,

Inside translation management, I can amend texts of translated languages >> no problem

But what about the basic language ?
I need to amend also, is it managed by WPML ?

Do I need to amend POT file ?
I heard that POT file is for the basic language + PO files are translated languages.

If this is correct, how can I update POT file, do I need another plugin ?

(little confusing here)

Thanks a lot,
Vince

April 23, 2018 at 4:42 pm #1773903

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. We have another client who had the similar issue and was also able to solve it, this may help in your case (summary at top):
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-tries-to-translate-into-default-language/

Thank you

April 23, 2018 at 9:12 pm #1776875

vincentH-16

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, but this doesnt reply to my question.

What can I do if I need to modify the theme basic string, BEFORE I send to translate ?

By example, the theme is delivered with the string "Related posts".
I want to have "Preferred posts" instead.
How can I amend this ?

You will agree, this is nonsense to send to a translator, a text that is not basically good !
First modify the basic text, then we can think to translate.

Thanks,

April 24, 2018 at 3:39 pm #1793127

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Vincent,

Basic language/strings are the original strings that are coming from theme/plugin. If you want change this, you must edit the strings directly in the file of your theme/plugin. After you edit the string, you should scan your theme/plugin again from WPML > Theme and plugins localization.

Make sure the option "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML's String Translation" is selected from WPML >> Theme and plugin localization > Localization options.

Scroll down and look the "Strings in the theme". Click on the "Scan the theme for strings" button.
If the strings are in the plugin, scroll down, and look for "Strings in the plugins". Select the correct plugin and at the end of the page, click on the "Scan the selected plugins for strings" button.
Then again in WPML >> String Translation, you can translate the new string.

POT files are also used for translation:
https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/functionality/localization/

Thank you

The topic ‘[Closed] Change string of basic language’ is closed to new replies.