Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was trying to change the UK flag image to the USA flag image but it was not showing up on his site.

Solution:

1. Re-save the flag image as PNG using Photoshop.

2. Then upload it from WPML >> Languages >> Edit Languages section by pressing the “Custom flag” option.

0% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Anja 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Noman.

Author Posts
November 6, 2021 at 2:45 pm #9939073

Anja

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Want to change the flag from UK to USA flag

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-change-english-flag-to-us-flag/#post-2638289

I tried to follow this recommendation, but it does not work. Downloaded a USA flag, resized and uploaded it, but it will not show up.

Any help would be appreciated, meanwhile I switch back to the UK flag.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

November 7, 2021 at 8:37 am #9940693

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Could you please make sure you have uploaded a flag from WPML >> Languages >> Edit Languages section by pressing the “Custom flag” option as you can see in the attached screenshot?

If still an issue persists, please provide temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP Login info) to your site (preferably staging site), so that I can look into your setup and debug the issue.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to deactivate and reactivate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Thank you

custom flag.jpg
November 8, 2021 at 1:08 pm #9947285

Anja

Hello,
I used the enclosed image that I prepared myself with photoshop.

Or shall I use some other US flag image? Could you send it to me, then I would like to try it again. I also tried to find the folder on the server where the flags of wpml are located, but I could not find it - which folder is it?

Yes, I uploaded it exactly where your screenshot shows, but I got an error - meaning that the image was not displayed in the website.

united-states-of-america-flag-icon-18x12.png
November 8, 2021 at 3:10 pm #9948151

Noman
Supporter

I have downloaded your attached flag image and tried to set up at my test site but it was showing me as an empty/broken flag. Then I opened the flag in a photoshop and re-saved it as PNG and then uploaded again and now it works flawlessly and uploaded custom flag in this address:
wp-content/uploads/flags/en_custom.png

Could you please download this flag image and try to extract it and use it and see if this resolves your issue:
hidden link

Thank you

frontend flag.jpg
backend flag image.jpg
November 8, 2021 at 3:10 pm #9948199

Noman
Supporter

I have downloaded your attached flag image and tried to set up at my test site but it was showing me as an empty/broken flag. Then I opened the flag in a photoshop and re-saved it as PNG and then uploaded again and now it works flawlessly and uploaded custom flag in this address:
wp-content/uploads/flags/en_custom.png

Could you please download this flag image and try to extract it and use it and see if this resolves your issue:
hidden link

Thank you

frontend flag.jpg
backend flag image.jpg
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.