This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by stefanijaV 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 4, 2019 at 7:47 pm #4146285

stefanijaV

Hi.

The current default language is English therefore all content I make is in English and then translated to Latvian.

If I was to set Latvian as the default language:

1. Would all links automatically update?
2. Won't it create any other issues I should be aware of?
3. Will I have to make content in Latvian and then translate to English? (Or can I keep making content in English and then translate to Latvian?)

Hope you can help!

July 4, 2019 at 9:27 pm #4146407

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

>>> 1. Would all links automatically update?
Links that are automatically added should work properly. Links that you added manually may need to be fixed (for example, links within the post).

>>> 2. Won't it create any other issues I should be aware of?
This should not cause any compatibility issues. It is recommended however that you backup your site before any changes.

>>> 3. Will I have to make content in Latvian and then translate to English? (Or can I keep making content in English and then translate to Latvian?)

After changing, ideally, you should use the default language to post the content and then translate it into the secondary language. You can, however, post to English (which is going to be the secondary language) and then translate to the Latvian.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

July 10, 2019 at 2:55 pm #4181743

stefanijaV

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!