This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcH-8 2 years, 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
October 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm #1119765

marcH-8

Hi Andrès, how are you?
First of all, I have migrated my site to another server and it seems the "old" problem of not translating the widget is now solved. 😉

However, I have another problem or at least a question.

As you know, I use wpml for several sites. Now, for one domain I have English as the default language. However, most of my customers are Germans and I would prefer setting the default language to German so that I could disable the browser redirect (which does not always work anyway). However, I am afraid that this will cause many problems for wpml if the default language would be German, wpml would think that the theme is in German and I cannot translate it properly. Is this true?
So, currently English is default and I have already translated a lot into German + Italian. Would this break my site or create problems if I set the default language to German?? I just would like that the German page displays first when opening my website. Thanks.

October 21, 2016 at 9:59 am #1120233

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

The translation you have done currently on the site will not be deleted if you changed the default language.

After you change the default language, you will still need to translate the content from English to current default language unless you change the string source language.

Please let me know if this helps.

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

October 21, 2016 at 12:48 pm #1120374

marcH-8

Hi Shekhar, ok, thanks, I will try it. I have a backup.

thanks, marc

October 21, 2016 at 3:15 pm #1120553

marcH-8

Hi Shekhar,
it works more or less. Some things are not translated, I think they are theme related. For example, in the footer I have:
© Copyright 2016 SardiniaTravel. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

This should be translated into English for the English site (All rights reserved). I will now figure out why it's not translated and if there are other things that are not translated. Maybe the original language is not set to english... I'll check.
For the rest, it works more or less all. 😉
thanks.

October 21, 2016 at 4:40 pm #1120630

marcH-8

So, the string I wrote you above is written in German in the theme's footer. I have written it in English, but then it still doesn't show up as English in String translation. I have re-scanned the theme, but still it looks like this: hidden link

I could of course tell the string translation that the original language is German, but still, why doesn't it show up?

So, when I have German as default language, WHAT do I have to put in the theme settings, if there are some strings I have to insert. Such as the one with all-rights-reserved or any other thing. Do I still have to insert them in English, even though the default language is German?
thanks,
marc

October 24, 2016 at 4:01 am #1121239

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

To quickly debug this issue, I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

This info is private and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks