This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Stéphane 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
July 20, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Stéphane

I am trying to change the default language of my website, so that when people arrive, the website is in French.

Link to my site: hidden link

I expected to see: French language by default, menu language switcher

Instead, I got:
French homepage is loading, but no menu language swither in the main menu.
When clicking on a different page in the main menu, I get "Internal Server Error" page message with:
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@catherinebrowne.grapsimo-traduction.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I tried also with all extensions OFF except WPML, and the problem is still there.
And FYI, after each try, I re-saved the permalinks too.

NB: I have put back the default language to English, because the site is live and I need it to be fully viewable.

July 20, 2017 at 4:53 pm #1323903

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

I used your duplicator package to deploy the site on my localhost

Without changing anything i went to WPML->Languages->Change default language to "French" and then went to the front end to test.

1. The French language was set correctly as the default and there were no errors switching languages back and forth.

2. I did not see the menu language switcher but all i had to do was go back to WPML=>Languages ->Menu language switcher and set the switcher to the correct menu since now we have switched languages.

In you error log i was only able to find the following error which is not related to WPML but rather seems to be related to your host server.

[18-Jul-2017 20:45:13 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/grapsimo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smushit/wp-smush.php on line 63
[18-Jul-2017 20:45:24 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/grapsimo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smushit/wp-smush.php on line 63
[18-Jul-2017 20:48:28 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in /home/grapsimo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-smushit/wp-smush.php on line 63

I have procceeded along with making the same changes on your live site and test it a few times switching languages back and forth and it is working as expected with no errors.

July 20, 2017 at 9:01 pm #1324092

Stéphane

I don't really understand what went wrong, but thanks a lot ! 😉