Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Giancarlo 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
March 2, 2021 at 9:39 pm #8212079

Giancarlo

I am trying to:
I have a shop of 1000 Products, each one has at least 50 variations (shoe shop, so colors, sizes, and heels), I use WPML and wooCommerce multilingual. This heavy structure is slowing down each action I do in the back-end and makes my work impossible: every time I update a product description, it takes several minutes to save.

Since each product shows the same description across its translations, I find them unnecessary, so I would like to keep only the main language for each item and delete all the translations.

The users shouldn't see any difference thanks to the option "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language".

My problem is that a few dozens products have English as the main language, while the rest have German... I have tried different ways to set German as main language for all the products, with no luck:

1 - Exporting all the products (from the German view in the backend), and importing them on a new installation of WordPress:

--> After the import, the products which used to have EN as main language in the original website, still show the alert "this is a translated version of another post", despite there is no other version.

2 - Simply deleting the products in English, and keep the German translation:

-->this causes the cancellation of the product in German, too.

3 - Changing default language of the existing product (following this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-default-language-of-existing-products-in-bulk/):

--> It actually changes the main language into German, but causes the cancellation of all the attributes and therefore the variations in the product.

I think Woocommerce multilingual is also contributing in the slow back end, I was wondering to disable it and manage the multi-language features with WPML string translation

I hope you can point me in a clear direction because I am getting crazy..
Thanks in advance !

March 3, 2021 at 10:20 am #8215181

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

It actually changes the main language into German, but causes the cancellation of all the attributes and therefore the variations in the product.

Would it help your case if I told you that in order to switch the product language, you need to have these attributes at least copied into that target language?

Otherwise variations will be gone missing during the language change as WooCommerce has nothing to attach them to, as they don't exist.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

attributes must exist in other languages before changing language.jpg
March 3, 2021 at 10:30 am #8215451

Giancarlo

Hi, yes every tag, category, attribute is translated..
I will try to clear the WPML settings because I read that it should set the main language of all products as the main website's language.

But I am afraid it will wipe everything, including my variations

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-the-original-language-of-products-and-cancel-the-other-language/#:~:text=It's%20also%20possible%20to%20reset,will%20be%20assigned%20to%20it

Screenshot 2021-03-03 112728.jpg
March 3, 2021 at 11:57 am #8217013

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I will try to clear the WPML settings

You mean reset?
https://wpml.org/faq/how-wpml-reset-works/

And then set the site as German in the wizard so that all the products take the German language?

That would work, however you will end up with a number of duplicated attributes, taxonomies, etc in the backend of the site, since these would get default language and would not get deleted.

You could delete them beforehand though. The thing is that there is really no bulk solution for changing languages for products/pages/posts as it is very rare scenario and not implemented.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 3, 2021 at 1:18 pm #8218101

Giancarlo

no it didn't work.. now I have 4000 products all in German..

how can I delete the products in all language except German, preserving my products with their variations?

March 3, 2021 at 1:27 pm #8218149

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It would be done like this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/deleting-translations/#post-3679043

But before reset and that would need to be done for every post type.

Do you have a staging site where I can try changing the language on one of these products and observe what happens?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 4, 2021 at 9:23 am #8225569

Giancarlo

I hope these details are not publicly visible..

March 4, 2021 at 9:26 am #8225647

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It is private reply. However, I see 1000 products in every language, what should I check and try?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 4, 2021 at 9:38 am #8225789

Giancarlo

I would like to keep the 1000 only in German, buit many are in English so if I simply delete these, the translations disappear, too.

So my request was to find a way to keep only the products by assigning to all of them the German as main language, and then delete all the others. My problem is that this structure is too heavy and each product update takes minutes. I don't need actual duplicates across the site because the main description for each product is the same

March 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #8226155

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Honestly I am not sure how to approach this to have some fast solution, but to assume that this will require a fair amount of work, given that there is such as huge amount of products, many are composed of huge number of variations and not one language is default...

Maybe importing only one language into a fresh installation and then moving them back?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Or try using some other import plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/product-import-export-for-woo/ or https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/product-csv-importer-exporter/.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 4, 2021 at 10:24 am #8226187

Giancarlo

I did it, on the original post I wrote:

"1 - Exporting all the products (from the German view in the backend), and importing them on a new installation of WordPress:

--> After the import, the products which used to have EN as main language in the original website, still show the alert "this is a translated version of another post", despite there is no other version."

I also think it could be a good starting point, but how can I clean the cache, so all products will set themself as German with no memory of their translation status in the original website?

March 4, 2021 at 10:42 am #8226507

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

so all products will set themself as German with no memory of their translation status in the original website?

You would do this by exporting them to new clean installation and only after that install and configure WPML and set default language as German.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 11, 2021 at 8:59 am #8281799

Giancarlo

Hi, thank you
I did it and it seems like it worked!

March 11, 2021 at 9:00 am #8281829

Giancarlo

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!