This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.63 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to change the time format in the code based on the language.?

Solution: Just use if, else condition with ICL language select to show different date format. Please refer : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/php-error-ificl_language_codeen/#post-2111534

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by benW-2 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
May 5, 2019 at 10:16 pm #3744057

benW-2

In my theme I have dates in English showing as
F Y
eg April, 2019
but in Chinese language I would like to have
2019年4月 (Year/Month/Day)
instead of
四月2019 ( F Y )

an example line from the theme is:

<span itemprop="dateCreated" class="date entry_date updated"><?php echo get_the_time('F, Y');?> </span>

How can I change the format of dates for different languages?

May 6, 2019 at 12:27 pm #3748263

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Just use if, else condition with ICL language select to show different date format.
Please refer : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/php-error-ificl_language_codeen/#post-2111534

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Riffaz.

May 9, 2019 at 8:40 am #3774253

benW-2

My issue is resolved now. The advice wasn't directly applicable, I had to find an alternative solution that involved editing each occurrence in theme files, as opposed to creating a function, but I got it sorted.
Edited occurrances in theme files, eg
changed
<?php the_time('F Y'); ?>
to
<?php if(ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE=='zh-hans' || ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE=='zh-hant') { the_time('Y 年 n 月'); } else { the_time('F Y'); }?>