This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 11:23 am #4189277

rachelR-2

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Dear WPML Team, I'm working on installing the your plugin and making my website bilingual but I have a question about changing permalinks. I built the website in English (as it's my mothertongue) and the front page address is currently tm-zentralschweiz.ch. However, this site will mostly be visited by German speakers and I was thinking of creating a German front page titled tm-zentralschweiz.ch/de and then making the English one tm-zentralschweiz.ch/en. The English version is already live but we haven't really publicised it yet so I was thinking that it would be ok to change the permalinks. Would you agree? Or should I create a redirect? But maybe that would slow down the loading of the page? And I guess that in these early days it would still be ok to change the permalinks? Any advise would be very much appreciated!

Is there any documentation that you are following?
The 'Getting Started Guide'

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

July 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm #4190533

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Yes, you can make the changes in the permalink structure and it won't affect the site. You can find more information about this subject in this link: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language-url-format

Kind regards,
Carlos