This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4307511

OyvindG-2

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Our client uses a certain booking system which does not recognize the country code "nb_NO" for the norwegian language and therefore the booking system is not working correctly. They are asking is we can change this code to just say "no" instead. So i´m wondering what ptential consequences this may have? I see there is an option for changing this under "WPML --> Languages --> Default Locale".

Is this safe to change from "nb_NO" to "no"? Will this break any links or anything else? Will it affect search results? Will Google still recognize this as a norwegian page? Will WPML still function properly?

What is the link to your site?
kronenhotels.no

July 30, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4308227

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for confirming.

It's always better using the recognized locales: hidden link

This may affect some settings and search results.

Please refer:
1. A complete list of Locale Code: hidden link
2. How to create / decide 'hreflang' : https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags (important)

A quick video : hidden link

Hope, this will help you.

Let me know.

Regards,
Riffaz.

July 31, 2019 at 6:48 am #4311915

OyvindG-2

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. When you say that it may affect some settings - please elaborate? Will it possibly cause the page to break? Will translations get corrupted? Or is it mainly that search results may be affected? Bottom line, is it SAFE to change these codes without risking to break page or translations on the webpage?

August 1, 2019 at 5:59 am #4318941

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Will it possibly cause the page to break?
- no

Will translations get corrupted?
- no

because it will be considered as custom language.
so, it will work fine.

is it mainly that search results may be affected?
- yes

Please take a backup of your site and database before trying this if you are not sure about these. It is always a good practice.

Let me know if you need anything else regarding this.

Regards,
Riffaz.

The topic ‘[Closed] Changing the language locale code, what are the consequences?’ is closed to new replies.