Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: in the checkout page there is a "continue shopping" button but it doesn't appear in String Translation and it's not possible to translate it

Solution: the button is inserted as hardcoded string in the theme and it's not properly GetTexted. You need to add a function to the theme functions.php (see Relevant Documentation)

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/checkout-page-address-tab-missing/#post-3292716

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hooiC 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
March 7, 2019 at 11:09 am #3283807

hooiC

I am trying to: if you go to our website, in English site, click on buy now, click on "proceed to checkout", you get the address tabs but all these tabs gone missing in all the language sites(except for Italian). they take you back to /cart and it should take to the checkout.
for eg german site ( after ordering, click on button " weitter zu kasse" it takes me to hidden link and not to /hidden link. where do i change this url? you have a copy of our site . see if the issue appears there

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

March 7, 2019 at 4:49 pm #3285891

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

I cannot see the issue on my copy.
If I add something to the cart and then I go to hidden link
and switch language, the buttons are all redirecting to the appropriate checkout page.

I don't know if this could be due to having different domains per language or if you did some changes after I took the copy.

March 7, 2019 at 7:07 pm #3286519

hooiC

Hi Laura
"I don't know if this could be due to having different domains per language " - what do you mean by this? are you saying because we originally have de.xxx.com and now we have dedev.xxx.com. Our IT consultant did copy and replace the url from de.xx.com to dedev.xxx.com. please do have a look at our dev site and you will see the problem. regardless, can someone else help to see how to resolve this or you think we should restore our backup?

March 8, 2019 at 7:46 am #3289698

hooiC

Hi Laura just to summarise, both VIEW CART and CHECKOUT on the CART symbol(on the menu) do not work for all the languages. also, the buttons PROCEED TO CHECKOUT and CONTINUE SHOPPING don't work for all the languages. we need a fix for them. By the way, do you know where these buttons are located in wp admin? this is rather urgent now. I know you don't work on Tuesdays.

March 8, 2019 at 11:54 am #3291886

hooiC

Hi Laura please can you confirm you are looking into this issue today. we need a fix today. otherwise, can this be escalated?

March 8, 2019 at 12:02 pm #3291938

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

as I told you on chat, I'm working on the issue already. I cannot guarantee a fix by the end of the day. I'll escalate if necessary, but if I need to do it do not expect an immediate fix, as there is a queue for escalated tickets too, and I don't know its status.

March 8, 2019 at 1:41 pm #3292716

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

what I mean about language per domain is that this particular setting cannot be easily replicated in the copy I took. I should create different domains on my test server and that is not possible. If I switch language on the copy I am redirected to your staging site, so any test I could do would be not real.
To solve the issue, I switched to directories per language but I do not see the issue in this way.
You can check yourself here: hidden link

About the "continue shopping" button, the problem is that the button is inserted as an hardcoded string. If you check the file in Avada/WooCommerce/Cart/cart-totals.php at the line 102, you'll find this string:

<a href="/shop/" class="checkout-button button alt ">Continue shopping</a>

This is your button, but this string is really badly written and it's missing a GetText call.

To solve it, delete that line and add this snippet in the Avada functions.php file

add_action( 'woocommerce_after_cart_totals', 'continue_shopping_button' );
function continue_shopping_button() {
 $shop_page_url = get_permalink( wc_get_page_id( 'shop' ) );

echo ' <a href="'.$shop_page_url.'" class="checkout-button button alt">' . esc_html__( 'Continue shopping', 'woocommerce' ) . '</a>';
}

Be aware that as soon as you update Avada, you'll lose those changes. To avoid this, I strongly suggest you create a child theme, also because I see you have other customizations in place.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.

March 8, 2019 at 3:23 pm #3293636

hooiC

Hi Laura thank you for your note. I did suggest yesterday that you go to our development site to have a look. what is the point of changing to 'directories per language' as this is not what we want.
I am not able to see this file in wp-admin. is this something our IT consultant have to check? Avada/WooCommerce/Cart/cart-totals.php at the line 102
To solve it, delete that line and add this snippet in the Avada functions.php file - where in the php to add this script - at the top or right at the bottom?

March 8, 2019 at 4:14 pm #3294140

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I wasn't suggesting for you to change from domain to directory, I was only explaining why it wasn't working for me and why I had to change it.

I can look at your site but you asked me not to touch anything because the development site needs to be pushed to production, so there is not much I can do if I can't do tests.
In any case, if go hidden link and change language I see that the "proceed to checkout" buttons point to the correct page. For example, in French it points to hidden link so I guess this is resolved?

The file is not in wp-admin, that folder only contains files for the WordPress interface. The path is wp-content/themes/Avada/WooCommerce/Cart/cart-totals.php
You can add the snippet at the bottom.

March 8, 2019 at 4:18 pm #3294154

hooiC

thank you for your effort. I need someone else to try to resolve this issue