This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Basil 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
July 22, 2016 at 10:15 am #970982

David

I am using a child theme of Support Desk (v1.0.15 by herothemes). In that I am trying to translate the theme's "headline" and "tagline".

With the parent theme enabled, I can go to WPML> String translation and sucessfully change these strings:

Domain: admin_texts_optionsframework_supportdesk
Name: [optionsframework_supportdesk]st_hp_headline
String: A Responsive Helpdesk Theme For WordPress

Domain: admin_texts_optionsframework_supportdesk
Name: [optionsframework_supportdesk]st_hp_tagline
String: Now you can have your own support center without paying monthly fees.

These translated strings are then correctly displayed in the front end.

Switching back to the child theme, and going back to String Translation, I still have these strings, but in the theme's options I see my own headline (e.g. “Knowledge Base”), and no option in the string translation to edit this.

I have contacted the theme author who is unable to diagnose this as a theme problem (as the strings are working fine for the parent theme). He suggested I log the issue swith WPML, which brings me here...

David.

July 22, 2016 at 12:55 pm #971238

Ankit

Hi David,

Thanks for contacting WPML Support. This is Ankit from WPML Support team, I will assist you with the issue.

I would request you consider providing me with temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply (See attachment). The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Regards,
Ankit

July 22, 2016 at 1:15 pm #971277

Ankit

I've checked the issue and I think your child theme does not contain language configuration file for wpml. For more information about language configuration file, please refer: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

You have to create and add language configuration file for your child theme. Please follow following procedure.

1. Login to FTP

2. Navigate to child theme directory.

3. Create a file wpml-config.xml in child theme directory.

4. Add following to that file and save file.

<wpml-config>
	<admin-texts>
		<key name="optionsframework_supportdesk_animana">
			<key name="st_hp_headline" />
			<key name="st_hp_tagline" />
		</key>
	</admin_texts>
</wpml-config>

5. Go to WPML > String Translation and check if Healine and Tagline appears.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Ankit

July 22, 2016 at 8:11 pm #972141

David

Thanks, additionally I had to remove the wpml-config.xml file in the parent theme folder, but it works fine now, and I will pass this back to the theme author.

May 9, 2019 at 9:41 am #3774713

Basil

I am facing a similar issue but with the buildpress theme.

The parent theme already contains a wpml-config.xml file which reads as follows:
<wpml-config>
<admin-texts>
<key name="theme_mods_buildpress">
<key name="charset_setting" />
<key name="projects_title" />
<key name="projects_subtitle" />
<key name="projects_slug" />
<key name="prev_project_btn" />
<key name="next_project_btn" />
<key name="footer_left_txt" />
<key name="footer_right_txt" />
</key>
</admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

The translation works on the parent theme but not on the child theme. I tried to copy the wpml-config.xml file from the parent to the child theme, I even tried deleting the parent's wpml-config.xml file as suggested by David with no success.

Please help.