This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 12, 2019 at 5:37 pm #4006555

julieC-6

I am trying to: properly use the chinese and portuguese translation without having hreflang errors.
I'm doing a site audit with SEMrush, one of the most prominent SEO tools.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: no errors

Instead, I got: please see attached file. Also, I'm getting feedback that zh-hant is an unknown country code.
Can you please walk me through the steps to resolve this? What country code should I be using and how do I change it?

June 12, 2019 at 9:25 pm #4007707

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

I found one extensive answer related to this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/does-my-language-code-negatively-affect-the-seo/#post-2771164

Particularly this part:

Please note that you will get the following message: Language-region code has no standalone language code . And this confirms what we know which is that the is no specific language code for Hong Kong English. Beyond this, I do not think that this message should alarm you.

So I am not really sure if there is something that requires fixing or how can it be fixed and this may fall more within SEO domain.

another discussion on this warning
=> hidden link